Relative error

1. Hello,
    If I have a measurement of 1cm, and have an absolute error of 0.1 cm, I know that I can write my measurement as (1±0.1)cm.
    If I want to write it with its relative error instead of an absolute error, can I still use the bracket?
    i.e) (1±10%)cm ???

Thank you!!

2. jcsd
  3. 10% is not in cm. So it does not make sense to write it inside the parenthesis.

4. jtbell

Staff: Mentor

To put it another way, the relative error would be 10% no matter what units you're using. So I would write it as 1cm ± 10%.

5. I, on the other hand, would write it as (1±10%)cm. % is not in cm so we must multiply it by cm in order to get the correct unit. Keep in mind that % is short hand for 1/100.

6. It works here (the value is 1 cm) but what if it's 2 cm with an error of 10%?

Then you will multiply 10% by cm to get 0.1 cm?
    But the error is actually 0.2 cm.

7. You multiply 2 cm by +/- 10% to get +/- 0.2 cm.
    Or you multiply cm by +/- 10% and take two of them to get +/- 0.2 cm.
    Or you multiply 2 by +/- 10% and use units of cm to get +/- 0.2 cm

Yes. That's right. No matter which of the three ways you choose to interpret 10%. There may be motivations to choose one interpretation over the others, but an off-by-a-factor-of-two problem is not one of them.

8. No.

2cm±10% is 2cm±0.2cm
    (2±10%)cm is (2±0.2)cm

It works either way.
    In most cases, I have seen the first one (2cm±10%) much more often.
    The second on is common in specifications. For example:
    Pin hole depth (cm): 2±10%

Or in table form:
    Parameter ... Value ... units
    Pin hole depth ... 2±10% ... cm

9. I have never seen that.
    I guess it would be 2(cm±10%) !?!

10. Millikan oil drop

hmm I guess I could use it either way then.

I actually have another question at this point, it's about Millikan oil drop experiment.

I've got
    mg=kvf, when the e-field is zero, (taking downwards direction as positive), k is some constant and vf is the terminal velocity of an oil drop.
    Then when the e-field is on, mg+kve=Eq, where Eq is the force from the electric field, and k is the same constant and ve is the drift velocity of an oil drop.
    When I isolated q (charge), i got

q=[(ve+vf)/vf]*dmg/V

and keep in mind that q=ne, where n is the number of charge and e is an elementary charge (q is of course the number of charge in an oil drop)

I got something like 8*10^-18 for q, and I'm trying to find n, so that I can plot q vs. n to find the slope of the line (which is e)

but in order for me to find the number of charge (n), don't I have to divide the q by e?
    I'm a little confused here because I thought the whole point of doing this experiment is to determine e. but by dividing q by e to obtain n, aren't I misinterpreting the whole the experiment?

How can i find n without dividing q by e?

11. You find n by looking at many drops and noticing that they form bunches. Each bunch correspond to a different value of n. So you just count the bunches starting from n=0 for those drops that were unaffected by the electric field.

12. DaleSpam

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  13. That post was intended for a different thread (oops). Does anybody know how I can remove it from here?

14. DaleSpam

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted