1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative velocities at high speed

1. Nov 4, 2006 #1
    Hi again,

Our textbook gives us equations to find the speed of objects in relation to others in the x, y, and z planes. These are:

[tex]v^'_x = \frac{v_x - u}{1 - uv_x/c^2}[/tex]
    [tex]v^'_y = \frac{v_y}{\gamma(1 - uv_x/c^2)}[/tex]
    [tex]v^'_z = \frac{v_z}{\gamma(1 - uv_x/c^2)}[/tex]

My first question is why is the equation for velocity in the x direction different from those in the y and z directions? Since all directions are relative, that would mean that simply turning 90º in any direction would mean that you'd have to use a different equation to find the velocity of something in a given axis?

My next question is from one of the homework problems, which says:

A and B are trains on perpendicular tracks. The velocities are in the station frame (S frame).
    a) Find [tex]v_AB[/tex], the velocity of train B with respect to train A.
    b) Find [tex]v_BA[/tex], the velocity of train A with respect to train B.

The picture shows that train A is going directly upwards from the train station at .8c, and train B is moving directly to the right from the station, also at .8c.

Now, just looking at the equations to finding the answer to part a you can tell that something's not right. The equation to find [tex]v^'_y[/tex] has [v_y] on the top, which in this case is 0 since train B is not moving vertically, so following the given equations, the vertical speed of train B relative to A is 0, which is not correct. The answer in the back is arrived at by using the equation for [tex]v^'_x[/tex] to find [tex]v^'_y[/tex] and using the equation for [tex]v^'_y[/tex] to find [tex]v^'_x[/tex]. Can someone tell me how you're supposed to know when to switch the x and y axes to use the proper equations to find the answer?

I hope I've made everything clear, thanks for the help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2
    Um... bump?
  4. Nov 5, 2006 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

But all directions are not equal!** These equations assume that the frame is moving with speed u along the +x axis. So, you must redefine your axes accordingly to make use of these formulas.

To find the velocity of train B wrt train A, train A becomes your primed frame so choose your axes to make its velocity in the x direction.

(**Recall that length contracts along the direction of motion but not perpendicular to it--thus the direction of motion selects one axis for special treatment.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?