Speed and direction of b and anti-b quark

In summary, the Higgs particle moves in the z-direction with a speed of $\Beta_H$. It decays to a b-quark and an anti-b quark, each of mass $m$.
FilipLand

Homework Statement

A Higgs particle of mass M is moving in the z-direction with speed $\Beta_H$c compared to the lab system.
It decays to a b-quark ans anti-b quark, each of mass m. What is the speed and direction of the b-quark compared to the lab-system, if the Higgs system,
(a) it is emitted in the forward direction.
(b) emitted in backwards direction.
(c) is emitted in y direction.

Homework Equations

Perhaps the lorentz transformation velocities.
$$V_y = \frac{v´_y}{\gamma (1-v´_x\frac{u}{c^2})}$$

Rapidity:
$$\eta (v)=artanh(\frac{v}{c}) $$
$$\eta(v´)= \eta (v´) + \eta(u)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to set $$ v_M * M(1-\frac{u^2}{c^2})^-1/2 = (v_b+b_anti-b)*m*(1-\frac{u^2}{c^2})^-1/2$$
which is equivalent to $$(v_b+b_anti-b)*m=v_M * M$$

Tha Higgs particle was coming in z-direction so $$v_M=v_z= \frac{v´_z}{\gamma(1+\frac{v'_x\beta_H}{c})}$$
And v_b and v_anti-b = v_y (in +- direction)

and
$$v_{\pm y}= \frac{v´_y}{\gamma(1\pm v´_x\beta_H/c}$$

Then I can set v´_x =0 for the higgs particle to simplify v_z to $$v_z=\frac{v´_z}{\gamma}$$

But this should be solved using rapidity, i.e velocity addition so I think I'm out on deep water..

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, thanks for asking. You should identify the second frame of reference. (the first frame of reference is the lab system). Then you can use the velocity addition formula very simply. Start by identifying the direction of the quark.

I am not familiar with rapidity but I don't think it is necessary in order to solve this problem.

Good luck!

Likes FilipLand
Gene Naden said:
Yes, thanks for asking. You should identify the second frame of reference. (the first frame of reference is the lab system). Then you can use the velocity addition formula very simply. Start by identifying the direction of the quark.

I am not familiar with rapidity but I don't think it is necessary in order to solve this problem.

Good luck!
Thanks! I think I got something but its pretty general :)

What are b and anti-b quarks?

B and anti-b quarks are elementary particles that make up matter. They are a type of quark, which are fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons in an atom.

How do b and anti-b quarks differ from each other?

B and anti-b quarks have opposite charges and spin. B quarks have a charge of +1/3 and a spin of 1/2, while anti-b quarks have a charge of -1/3 and a spin of -1/2.

What is the speed of b and anti-b quarks?

The speed of b and anti-b quarks can vary, as they are affected by factors such as energy and interactions with other particles. In some experiments, b and anti-b quarks have been observed to travel at close to the speed of light.

What is the direction of b and anti-b quarks?

The direction of b and anti-b quarks can also vary, depending on the experiment and interactions with other particles. In general, they tend to move in the direction of the force exerted on them.

Can the speed and direction of b and anti-b quarks be controlled?

No, the speed and direction of b and anti-b quarks cannot be controlled. They are subject to the laws of physics and are influenced by various factors such as energy and interactions with other particles.