Relative velocity at a junction

In summary, at 33.33 seconds, A is 20 m from the junction and B is 40 m from the junction. The distance between A and B is 24 m.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

Two straight roads intersect at point O and cross at an angle Θ to one another, such that tan Θ = 3/4.Two cars, A and B are traveling towards O on these roads,A at 5 m/s and B at 8 m/s

At a certain moment.A is 100 m from the junction and B, on the other road, is 200 m from the junction. Find
(i)the time at which A reaches O
(ii) The distance between A and B at this time.
(iii) The magnitude and direction of the velocity of A with respect to B
(iv) The shortest distance between them.
(v)the time at which they are nearest to one another
(vi)the time when they are equidistant from O

Homework Equations

Vab = Va - Vb

The Attempt at a Solution

I got every part except (vi)

(i) 100/5 = 20 seconds

(ii) 200 - 8(20) = 40m

(iii) Vab = ( -5(4/5)i -5(3/5)j ) -(-8i) = 4i -3j m/s

|Vab| = 5m/s
inverse tan 3/4 = 36.87 degrees south of east

(iv)
40(sinΘ) = 40(3/5) = 24 m = shortest distance

(v)
Pythagoras theorem (40^2 -24^2)^(1/2) = 32m

32/5 =6.4 seconds

20 + 6.4 = 26.4 seconds
(vi)
This is the part I am stuck on.I know I need the distance from O when they are equidistant but I just can't seem to think of any way that I could get none of the examples in my book
covered this any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Woolyabyss said:
This is the part I am stuck on.I know I need the distance from O when they are equidistant but I just can't seem to think of any way that I could get none of the examples in my book
covered this any help would be appreciated.

See if you can write an equation for how far A is from O for any time t. Similarly for how far B is from O at any time t.

Alright thanks, I just jotted down this down randomly
5t - 100 = 8t - 200... 3t = 100

t = 33.33 seconds

This is the right answer according to the back of my book but for some reason I feel as though the method I just used isn't the right one since if I picked any time before A passed O I would get a negative distance.
Any thoughts?

TSny said:
See if you can write an equation for how far A is from O for any time t. Similarly for how far B is from O at any time t.

Since displacement is a vector quantity would the negative sign just be telling you that its displacement is at the opposite side of O?

OK, you set up equations such that positive positions are interpreted as positions beyond O while negative positions are before reaching O. That's fine.

The question is a little ambiguous. Usually "distance" is interpreted as positive independent of which side of O you're on. You have found a solution for when both cars are past O. Can you find another solution where one car is beyond O while the other has not yet reached O (but they are the same distance from O)?

Last edited:
TSny said:
OK, you set up equations such that positive positions are interpreted as positions beyond O while negative positions are before reaching O. That's fine.

The question is a little ambiguous. Usually "distance" is interpreted as positive independent of which side of O you're on. You have found a solution for when both cars are past O. Can you find another solution where one car is beyond O while the other had not yet reached O (but they are the same distance from O)?

Would it be 5t -100 = 200 - 8t

t=23.077 seconds

bearing in mind the previous answer I got is the only one that is given as a solution at the back of my book.

Yes. That looks good. I guess the book is ignoring that answer.

TSny said:

Alright thank you.

TSny said:

Alright, thank you.

1. What is relative velocity at a junction?

Relative velocity at a junction is the velocity of an object or body in relation to another object or body at a point where their paths intersect or meet.

2. How is relative velocity at a junction calculated?

Relative velocity at a junction is calculated by taking the difference between the velocities of the two objects at the point of junction. This can be represented by the formula: Vr = Va - Vb, where Vr is the relative velocity, Va is the velocity of object A, and Vb is the velocity of object B.

3. What is the importance of understanding relative velocity at a junction?

Understanding relative velocity at a junction is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and transportation. It helps in predicting the movement and collision of objects, as well as in designing efficient routes and paths for moving objects.

4. How does the angle of intersection affect relative velocity at a junction?

The angle of intersection can affect the magnitude and direction of the relative velocity at a junction. If the two objects are moving in the same direction, the relative velocity will be lower than if they were moving in opposite directions. The angle of intersection also determines the direction of the relative velocity.

5. Can relative velocity at a junction be negative?

Yes, relative velocity at a junction can be negative. This means that the two objects are moving in opposite directions, resulting in a negative relative velocity. A negative relative velocity indicates that the objects are moving away from each other at the point of junction.