1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Velocity Motorboat Problem

1. Jan 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A motorboat is observed to travel 10 km/hr relative to earth in the direction 37° north of east. If the velocity of the boat due to wind ONLY is 2 km/hr westward and that due to current is 4 km/hr southward, what is the magnitude and velocity of the motorboat due to its own power ?

2. Where I got stuck

I cant figure out if V of Boat with resp to earth is given, what we have to find and whether "v due to wind..." means V of boat with respect to wind.....if yes, what should i take as the velocity of Boat?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, it might help to first draw a vector of the boat's velocity relative to the earth and see what that contributes to westward and southern velocities. What might you do after that?

4. Jan 11, 2014 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi rajumahtora! :smile:
    i agree the wording is a little unsatisfactory

but the question is obviously about the addition and subtraction of velocities (as vectors), so just treat it as such :wink:

5. Jan 11, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question means that the boat's observed motion is a result of three things: wind, current and motor. You are told what the motion would be without current or motor, and what it would be without wind or motor. You are asked what it would be without wind or current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted