Relative Velocity of a boat Question

In summary, the boat takes 4.0 hr to travel 25 km down a river, then 5.0 hr to return. The velocity of the boat relative to the water flow is 6.25 km/hr in one direction and 5.0 km/hr in the return.
jt121

Homework Statement

A boat takes 4.0 hr to travel 25 km down a river, then 5.0 hr to return.

A. How fast is the river flowing?
B. What is the velocity of the boat relative to the water flow?

Homework Equations

VAC=VAB+VBC

The Attempt at a Solution

For some reason I have trouble thinking in terms of the equation... I keep thinking that I can simply divide the time by distance traveled which yields a velocity of 6.25 km/hr for one direction and 5.0 km/hr for the return. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
EDIT: This should probably be in Introductory Physics, sorry. Any help on this section is still appreciated. Thanks =)

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right about everything you have posted.
So in the formula you posted, what do the three variables stand for?
For which of the three are the numbers you calculated (6.25 and 5.0) values?

Thanks for the response, good to know I'm headed in the right direction.

To go further, I tried to identify the variables in the equation as you said.

So far;

Let:
Vwg = Velocity of water relative to the ground
Vbw = Velocity of the boat relative to water
Vbg = Velocity of the boat relative to the ground = 6.25 km/hr and 5 km/hr ?

So if I set this up right,

Vwg = Vbw + Vbg?

Maybe I'm lost.

Thanks again.

You got them mixed up in the final line ;)

jt121 said:
So if I set this up right,

Vbg = Vbw + Vwg?

Think of you walking on one of those automatic walkways you see in airports, for example.
Suppose it is moving at Vwg 5 m/s and you are walking at Vyw = 1.5 m/s. Clearly, what is your speed Vyg with respect to someone sitting around, waiting for their flight?
Do you see why you get something like (looking at the subscripts only)
ac = ab + bc​
with the b's in the middle "dropping out"?

Anyway, there are two velocities Vbg, one for the upstream and one for the downstream trip. So you should apply the equation twice. What can you say about Vwg and Vbw in the two cases?

Solved the problem, thank you so much for the help! I was hung up on the equation for each "leg" of the trip but you helped me simplify it.

jt121 said:
Solved the problem

Good, so you didn't fall into the minus sign traps then (e.g. the velocities are actually +6.25 and -5, if positive direction is downstream.

Well done.

1. What is Relative Velocity of a boat?

Relative Velocity of a boat is the speed and direction of a boat in relation to another moving object, such as the water or another boat.

2. How is Relative Velocity of a boat calculated?

The Relative Velocity of a boat is calculated by subtracting the velocity of the reference object from the velocity of the boat. This can be represented by the formula: Vb - Vo = Vr, where Vb is the velocity of the boat, Vo is the velocity of the reference object, and Vr is the relative velocity of the boat.

3. Why is it important to understand Relative Velocity of a boat?

Understanding Relative Velocity of a boat is important for navigation and safety on the water. It allows boat operators to predict the movement and potential collisions with other boats or objects in the water.

4. How does wind or current affect the Relative Velocity of a boat?

The wind or current can either add to or subtract from the boat's velocity, depending on the direction and strength of the wind or current. This can impact the boat's relative velocity, making it important for boat operators to consider when navigating.

5. Can the Relative Velocity of a boat change?

Yes, the Relative Velocity of a boat can change as the boat's speed or direction changes, or as the velocity of the reference object changes. It is important for boat operators to constantly monitor and adjust for changes in relative velocity to ensure safe navigation.