1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic acceleration with integration problem

1. May 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a space ship that accelerates so that the passengers feel and acceleration equal to that of gravity of the earth’s surface, g. If the space ship undergoes this acceleration for a time T, show that the final velocity is given by:
    V=c[1+(c/gT)^2]^(-1/2)

2. Relevant equations

F=(gamma^3)ma where gamma= [1-(v/c)^2]^-1/2 (the Lorentz factor)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the passengers always feel the acceleration of gravity, you don’t actually feel acceleration you feel the force mg. So at any time the passengers must feel mg so:

mg=(gamma^3)ma
    a=g/(gamma^3)

I converted gamma into the function and tried to integrate to obtain V but that’s where I got stuck .

a=g[1-(v/c)^2]^3/2

I trying to integrate with respect to dt but v it self is a dx/dt so I am wierded out by that. I went to the professor and he gave me a hint in which I have to convert adt into another thing using the chain rule (whatever that means).
    Somehow I think I have to integrate with respect to dv and have my limit be gT instead of T but iam not sure how to get to there.

Any help is greatly appreciated I have my test this week and I need to get a A :(.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Gravitino22! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Your professor is probably thinking of something like
    ∫ f(v) dt = ∫ [f(v) / (dv/dt)] dv/dt dt = … :wink:

4. May 5, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Use the definition of acceleration is to express the LHS in terms of v and t.

5. May 5, 2010 #4
    Thats what i was trying

a=dv/dt then pass dt to the RHS to integrate and which also has a v=dx/dt which is where iam confused.

And for tiny-tim's response

Iam not seeing where your going with that...

=f(v)dtdv? double integration?

6. May 5, 2010 #5

ideasrule

Homework Helper

a=dv/dt, so you can write dv/dt=g[1-(v/c)^2]^3/2. You can integrate that to get a relationship between v and t. It's true that v=dx/dt, but since you're not asked to find x as a function of t, this equation is irrelevant.

7. May 5, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The differential equation is separable, so you can get all the v's on one side and t on the other and then integrate each side.

8. May 5, 2010 #7
    Thanks vela,

I was trying that approach earlier but i cant solve that nasty integral, going to keep trying

9. May 5, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Use the trig substitution v/c=sin θ. Then don't make the really stupid mistake I did, and the answer (for the integral) will pop right out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook