1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Addition of Electron Velocities

1. May 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron moves to the right in a laboratory accelerator with a speed of 0.822c. A second electron in a different accelerator moves to the left with a speed of 0.424c relative to the first electron. Calculate the speed of the second electron (in c) relative to the lab. Do not enter unit.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]
    V_{a/c} = \frac{V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}}{1 + (V_{a/b} V_{b/c})/c^2}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Relativity is difficult for me to get a handle on. The way I am setting this up, is i'm using the velocity .822c for Va/b and -.424c(since it this one goes left) for Vb/c, and Vac would be the velocity of the second electron relative to the lab, however i'm not getting the right answer. I'm guessing that I don't have the velocities substituted in the proper places in the formula, any help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Cheezay! :smile:

You're using a for the 1st electron, and b for the lab, then b for the second electron and c for the 1st electron :frown:

fiddle around with it, to get it consistent, and remember that Va/b = -Vb/a :smile:

4. May 8, 2009 #3
    Ok. So considering that a = electron 1, b = electron 2, and c = lab.... I now have Va/c= .822c, and because Va/b=-Vb/a.. i use -.424c for the speed of electron 2 relative to the lab. Now i solve for Vb/c. I'm fairly confident i have my equation set up correctly now, which means i'm making an algebraic error now... any help?

Using V as a variable, in place of Vb/c

.822c=[-.424c + V]/[1-(.424c x V)/(c^2)] c's cancel...

.822c=[-.424c + V]/[1-(.424 x V)/c] i move the whole term...

.822c[1-(.424 x V)/c]=-.424c + V distribute .822c (c's cancel again)

.822c - .348528 -.822V = -.424c +V

-.348528 - .822V = -1.246c + V

-.348528 - V = -1.51582c + V

-2V = -1.16729c so V= .583c which isn't correct

Any more help would be greatly appreciated! I have been on this problem for 3 days now!

5. May 8, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Cheezay! :smile:
    (you mean relative to electron 1 :wink:)
    However did you get an unknown on the RHS? :redface:

Choose a b and c (it might be easier if you call them 1 2 and L) so that the RHS contains your two knowns, and the unknown is on the LHS! :smile:

6. May 9, 2009 #5
    Ok.. i've figured it out. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook