Relativistic calculations - when to use them?

In summary, my online teacher thinks that relativistic calculations should only be used for cases where "it makes a difference", and that it should be used for like, 99% of c. I was given a problem on a quiz in which a particle was traveling at 16% of c, and I used the relativistic momentum. I got the answer wrong, presumably because I used the relativistic momentum. In the example the problem showed, it used the regular definition of momentum. SO- who screwed up? My answer was wrong enough for it to be counted wrong, which pretty much justifies my argument. The value of gamma at 16.6% of c is 1.014, which I think is an appreciable
Darth Geek
This is less of a strict math problem than me thinking my online teacher is wrong. I will, however, format the question as per PF's requirements, and I think it should be in this forum because it involves my coursework.

Homework Statement

Essentially, when should I use relativistic calculations (considering gamma in equations like momentum, speed, length, etc.)?

Homework Equations

γ = 1/sqroot(1 - v^2/c^2), and dependent equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher says that this should only be used for cases where "it makes a difference", and uses "like, 99% of c" as his example. I was given a problem on a quiz in which a particle was traveling at 16% of c, I used the relativistic momentum (I was finding the De Broglie wavelength), and got the answer wrong (presumably because I used the relativistic momentum). In the example the problem showed, it used the regular definition of momentum.

SO- who screwed up? My answer was wrong enough for it to be counted wrong, which pretty much justifies my argument. The value of gamma at 16.6% of c is 1.014, which I think is an appreciable difference (1.4 percent). At 50% of c, which my teacher also seems to be discounting, gamma is 1.1547. 15.5% is definitely an appreciable difference.

What do you all think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you work out [itex]\gamma[/itex] and it is approximately 1, you don't need to use relativistic equations.

Darth Geek said:
This is less of a strict math problem than me thinking my online teacher is wrong. I will, however, format the question as per PF's requirements, and I think it should be in this forum because it involves my coursework.

Homework Statement

Essentially, when should I use relativistic calculations (considering gamma in equations like momentum, speed, length, etc.)?

Homework Equations

γ = 1/sqroot(1 - v^2/c^2), and dependent equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher says that this should only be used for cases where "it makes a difference", and uses "like, 99% of c" as his example. I was given a problem on a quiz in which a particle was traveling at 16% of c, I used the relativistic momentum (I was finding the De Broglie wavelength), and got the answer wrong (presumably because I used the relativistic momentum). In the example the problem showed, it used the regular definition of momentum.

SO- who screwed up? My answer was wrong enough for it to be counted wrong, which pretty much justifies my argument. The value of gamma at 16.6% of c is 1.014, which I think is an appreciable difference (1.4 percent). At 50% of c, which my teacher also seems to be discounting, gamma is 1.1547. 15.5% is definitely an appreciable difference.

What do you all think?
If the answer was correct in that you applied relativistic calculations your teacher ought to reward, not punish you, for that.

People are still wondering why after 100 years relativity is not mainstream. The answer is simple, because of the educational system. Youngsters can learn and understand relativity just fine if only they were taught!

I'm sure this changes between different teachers and the like, but we have always used relativistic calculations for anything over about 10% of the speed of light.

I suppose the limit where you draw the line can be context dependent, some problems can be more sensitive to these things then others, as well as sometimes perhaps the physics isn't altered enough to bother with a fully relativistic solution. However, I'd question my teachers/colleagues if they started doing classical mechanics or whatever at 0.5c.

If you did your relativistic calculations right, then you should have gotten the answer right not wrong. Your answer is more accurate than when classically done.

Thanks. We had been over relativistic effects in chapter 13.1, and this question appeared in 13.2, which is why I was confused about why the course was being so anal about it.

I'm questioning him too- the 1.4% that I used was quite a lot to dismiss in a measurement like a De Broglie wavelength.

And yeah- if only this were taught in schools and I didn't have to use an Apex (not) Learning summer course- thereby trying fruitlessly to do 2 semesters in 2 months. I think the educational system would be a lot better if it was stricter. I had to learn relativity and its effects (mathematically, and not counting my Trekkie fanatic background) on one day. 13.2- Atomic Structure, and 13.3- Fission and Fusion, also took one day. However this is nothing compared to the entirety of unit 12: Physical Optics (Diffraction and the like) being crammed into two days, including the unit test. I still feel that I understand the basic concepts of each of these. Physics isn't the incredibly difficult ordeal everyone makes it out to be.

OK. Rant over. I probably won't call the teacher on it since it's only one point out of 1.9 thousand, but I feel justified in that I was right. Thanks everyone. :)

1. What is the purpose of relativistic calculations in scientific research?

Relativistic calculations are used to describe the behavior of objects and processes that occur at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. These calculations are necessary for understanding phenomena such as black holes, particle accelerators, and the behavior of light.

2. How do relativistic calculations differ from classical calculations?

Relativistic calculations take into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that at high speeds, time, distance, and mass are not absolute values and must be calculated using relativistic equations.

3. When is it necessary to use relativistic calculations?

Relativistic calculations are necessary in any situation where objects or processes are moving at speeds close to the speed of light, or in strong gravitational fields. This includes in space travel, nuclear reactions, and the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.

4. What are some examples of phenomena that can only be accurately described using relativistic calculations?

Some examples of phenomena that require relativistic calculations include the bending of light around massive objects, the behavior of particles in accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider, and the effects of time dilation in space travel.

5. Are there any limitations to relativistic calculations?

Relativistic calculations are based on our current understanding of relativity, which may not be complete. Additionally, they can become very complex and difficult to solve for certain systems. In these cases, approximations may be used, which may introduce some error into the calculations.