Relativistic electron theory references?

In summary, one is looking for a book to read other than Merzbacher chapter 24. He has looked in his other QM textbooks and they don't cover this topic. There are plenty of resources available, including books and online resources.
wotanub
It was hard to decide where to post this. I want it to be in the right section (maybe textbook discussion or academic guidance) but I also want people that would know the answer to see it. Mods can move it if needed.

I'm looking for something to read other than Merzbacher chapter 24. I just don't like the style. It's not readable in my opinion.

The topics in the book are:
The Electron-Positron Field
The Dirac Equation
Relativistic Invariance
Solutions to the free Field Dirac Equation
CPT
One Particle Approximation
Dirac Theory in Heisenberg Picture
Dirac Theory in Schrodinger Picture
Central Forces and Hydrogen

I looked in my other QM textbooks and they don't cover this and in my QFT books it is covered in like the 3rd or 4th chapters, but I haven't read any of the books.

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
To what textbooks is one referring?
[/QUOTE] Since you were wonderin...ou've posted? I can't find information on it.

WannabeNewton said:
Great reference!

Meanwhile - http://student.ulb.ac.be/~kpotamia/IRPHYS3%20-%20The%20Dirac%20Equation.pdf
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qm/Quantumhtml/node99.html

It seems there's plenty of resources available.
wotanub said:
Since you were wondering, I've looked in Sakurai and Weinberg QM. I have a Relativistic QM book by Ohlsson, and QFT books by Schwartz and Zee and it certainly isn't in my undergrad level books.

It looks like one book is available online from my library and the other I have to order from the depository... Astronuc, do you have experience with the book you've posted? I can't find information on it.
The reference I picked was a quick example. Go with WbN's reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read a chapter of Greiner's book. I like it, much better read than Merzbacher. I might purchase a copy for my collection. Maybe I should check out his Quantum book too, he cites himself so much! Ha ha!

It should maybe be noted that how to properly do relativistic electrons once there is more than one is still an active research topic. Even if many physics textbooks would claim otherwise because they can treat the hydrogen atom just fine...

Some pointers to recent work on the topic on QED vs. Hamiltonians and how the latter arise and are to be interpreted are given in http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/qua.24600 (Wenjian Liu - Perspective: Relativistic Hamiltonians).

wotanub said:
Maybe I should check out his Quantum book too, he cites himself so much! Ha ha!

While you're at it, get his book on field quantization as well. I'm working through it at the moment and it's an absolutely brilliant resource for QFT particularly because it has a wealth of worked examples and (really loooooooong) problem sets.

1. What is Relativistic Electron Theory?

Relativistic Electron Theory is a physical theory that describes the motion and behavior of electrons in a relativistic framework, taking into account the effects of special relativity. It is used to explain the behavior of electrons in high-energy and high-speed situations, such as in particle accelerators and in astrophysical phenomena.

2. How does Relativistic Electron Theory differ from Classical Electron Theory?

Relativistic Electron Theory takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which are not considered in Classical Electron Theory. It also incorporates the concept of mass-energy equivalence and the idea that the speed of light is the same for all observers, which are fundamental principles of relativity.

3. What are some practical applications of Relativistic Electron Theory?

Relativistic Electron Theory is used in various fields, including particle physics, astrophysics, nuclear physics, and medical physics. It is used to understand the behavior of particles in high-energy accelerators, the dynamics of electrons in intense magnetic fields, and the radiation emitted by astrophysical objects. It also plays a role in the development of medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET).

4. What are some key references for Relativistic Electron Theory?

Some key references for Relativistic Electron Theory include "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Field Theory" by Franz Gross, "Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Introduction to Field Theory" by Norman K. Glendenning, and "Introduction to Relativistic Quantum Field Theory" by Silvan S. Schweber. Additionally, there are various research papers and articles published in scientific journals that discuss specific aspects of Relativistic Electron Theory.

5. Are there any open questions or challenges in Relativistic Electron Theory?

Yes, there are still some open questions and challenges in Relativistic Electron Theory. One major challenge is the reconciliation of relativistic quantum mechanics with general relativity, which is necessary for a complete understanding of the behavior of particles in extreme gravitational fields, such as those near black holes. Additionally, there are ongoing efforts to refine and improve the theory, as well as to develop new experimental techniques to test its predictions.