1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic electron theory references?

1. Apr 27, 2014 #1
    It was hard to decide where to post this. I want it to be in the right section (maybe textbook discussion or academic guidance) but I also want people that would know the answer to see it. Mods can move it if needed.

I'm looking for something to read other than Merzbacher chapter 24. I just don't like the style. It's not readable in my opinion.

The topics in the book are:
    The Electron-Positron Field
    The Dirac Equation
    Relativistic Invariance
    Solutions to the free Field Dirac Equation
    CPT
    One Particle Approximation
    Dirac Theory in Heisenberg Picture
    Dirac Theory in Schrodinger Picture
    Central Forces and Hydrogen

I looked in my other QM textbooks and they don't cover this and in my QFT books it is covered in like the 3rd or 4th chapters, but I haven't read any of the books.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2014 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Apr 27, 2014 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

5. Apr 27, 2014 #4

6. Apr 27, 2014 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Great reference!

Meanwhile - http://student.ulb.ac.be/~kpotamia/IRPHYS3 - The Dirac Equation.pdf
    http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qm/Quantumhtml/node99.html

It seems there's plenty of resources available.
    The reference I picked was a quick example. Go with WbN's reference.

7. Apr 28, 2014 #6
    I just read a chapter of Greiner's book. I like it, much better read than Merzbacher. I might purchase a copy for my collection. Maybe I should check out his Quantum book too, he cites himself so much! Ha ha!

8. Apr 28, 2014 #7

cgk

Science Advisor

It should maybe be noted that how to properly do relativistic electrons once there is more than one is still an active research topic. Even if many physics textbooks would claim otherwise because they can treat the hydrogen atom just fine...

Some pointers to recent work on the topic on QED vs. Hamiltonians and how the latter arise and are to be interpreted are given in http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/qua.24600 (Wenjian Liu - Perspective: Relativistic Hamiltonians).

9. Apr 28, 2014 #8

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

While you're at it, get his book on field quantization as well. I'm working through it at the moment and it's an absolutely brilliant resource for QFT particularly because it has a wealth of worked examples and (really loooooooong) problem sets.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook