Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Energy Derivation math problem

1. Jul 10, 2013 #1
    Hey,

In a derivation of relativistic energy (in Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 5th edition, Serway and Beichner) they use a method of integration by substitution:

Given that

[itex]F=\frac{dp}{dt}[/itex]

and relativistic momentum is given by

[itex]p=\frac{mv}{\sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))}[/itex]

[itex]W=∫F dx=∫\frac{dp}{dt} dx[/itex]

which is fine then they say

[itex]\frac{dp}{dt}=\frac{d}{dt}\frac{mv}{\sqrt(1−(\frac{(v^2)}{c^2}))}=\frac{m\frac{dv}{dt}}{(1−(\frac{v^2}{c^2}))^(\frac{3}{2})}[/itex]

(This is about halfway through the derivation.)
    its that last step that i dont understand. why does the denominator term now have a 3/2 index? and why is du/dt given like that? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2013 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

is there a missing square-root symbol?

4. Jul 10, 2013 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

(d/dt)(mv(1-v2)-1/2) = m(1-v2)-1/2dv/dt -1/2(-2v)(mv)(1-v2)-3/2)dv/dt
    [first term is from d/dt'ing the v in the numerator, second is from d/dt'ing the denominator]

= m(1-v2 + v2)(1-v2)-3/2dv/dt = m(1-v2)-3/2dv/dt

5. Jul 10, 2013 #4
    Sorry but that's not very clear. I have trouble reading non formatted math like that. As a second year physics student in uni, should I be able to do that differentiation by hand?

6. Jul 10, 2013 #5

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Try looking up "chain rule". Wiki has a definition, it might not be the easiest to read. Note that you want to find (d/dt) p(t) which is equal to (d/dt) p(v(t)), and that m is assumed to be constant (not a function of time).

7. Jul 10, 2013 #6
    Sorry I use u instead of v for velocity

In plain English the reason you get an exponent of -3/2 is because γ(u) is an exponent of -1/2, and what's the derivative of x-1/2? It's (-1/2)x-3/2.

I actually just posted a similar question regarding this topic, but with the time component rather than space.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook