Relativistic Momentum: 880kg Spacecraft at 1/2 C

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
rickross
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone so I have a couple of questions I would like to get some help on. The first one is as follows: A 880-kg spacecraft is traveling forward at 1/2 the speed of light. What is the relativistic momentum? I know the equations I am just having trouble plugging the numbers in I think. Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to PF. In general homework question here follow a template. If you check the homework section you'll see it in use.

While we can't just solve a problem we can help if you show us your work,
so we can see what you understand and where you went wrong.
 
rickross said:
Hi everyone so I have a couple of questions I would like to get some help on. The first one is as follows: A 880-kg spacecraft is traveling forward at 1/2 the speed of light. What is the relativistic momentum? I know the equations I am just having trouble plugging the numbers in I think. Thanks

Relativistic momentum is expressed by:

p= mo (rest mass) * v (velocity) / 1- v^2 (velocity^2) / c^2 (speed of light^2)

Plug in those numbers and solve for p