Relativistic Particle in Circular Orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of b in terms of R, q, m0, and w for a particle of charge q and rest mass m0 moving in a circular orbit in a uniform magnetic field b in the z direction. The equations v = w/R and F = ma are used to solve the problem.
SpaceTrekkie

Homework Statement

A particle of charge q and rest mass m0 moves in a circular orbit of radius R and angular frequency w in a uniform magnetic field b in the z direction: Find b in terms of R,q , m0, and w.

Homework Equations

b = (1/c) v X e and v = w/R and e = not sure. My problem is that all of my equations for e have a gamma factor (lorentz factor) in them, and I don't think i need that. So I think I am using the wrong equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that v = w/R
and if I do indeed use gamma i have gamma(u) = (1-w^2R^2/c^2)^-(1/2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SpaceTrekkie! :smile:

(have an omega: ω Ω and a gamma: γ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
SpaceTrekkie said:
I got that v = w/R

erm :redface: … look at the dimensions …

v = L/T, R = L, ω = 1/T: v = ωR :rolleyes:

use good ol' Newton's second law … force = mass times centripetal acceleration :smile:

ooo ok, I was missing the part about that it will equation to F=ma. Ahh I feel dumb now. Thanks for your help!

1. What is a relativistic particle in circular orbit?

A relativistic particle in circular orbit is a theoretical concept in physics that describes the motion of a particle traveling at speeds close to the speed of light in a circular path around a central object, such as a planet or star. This phenomenon is explained by Albert Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. What is the significance of studying relativistic particle in circular orbit?

Studying relativistic particles in circular orbit is important for understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as particles in particle accelerators or celestial bodies in space. It also helps to validate Einstein's theory of relativity, which has revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

3. How is the motion of a relativistic particle in circular orbit different from a non-relativistic particle?

A relativistic particle in circular orbit experiences an increase in mass and a decrease in time dilation as it approaches the speed of light, whereas a non-relativistic particle does not. This means that the relativistic particle's motion is affected by the curvature of space-time, while the non-relativistic particle follows Newton's laws of motion.

4. What is the equation for calculating the relativistic particle's speed in circular orbit?

The equation for calculating the speed of a relativistic particle in circular orbit is v=c/√(1-rs/r), where c is the speed of light, rs is the Schwarzschild radius of the central object, and r is the distance from the central object to the particle. This equation takes into account the effects of gravity and time dilation on the particle's speed.

5. Can a particle in circular orbit achieve the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, a particle with mass cannot reach the speed of light. As the particle's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase infinitely, making it impossible to reach the speed of light. However, a particle can come close to the speed of light in circular orbit, experiencing an increase in mass and a decrease in time dilation.