Relativistic Reference Frames and the Big Bang?

In summary, extreme reference frames are taken into account by convention by calculating the age of the universe according to co-moving observers. There is no absolute age of the universe as long as we're considering clocks that are in any state of motion.
jahzam
Peeling this out into its own thread for clarity:
How is time dilation of extreme reference frames (photons, black holes, intergalactic space-time) taken into account in Big Bang cosmology? Since from the POV of a singularity or a photon, their clocks have effectively stopped and any lower inertial reference frames have already run their whole timelines (reached max entropy).

Doesn't relativity mean that from the POV of any photon or black hole, all slower or lower-g bodies instantly age near-infinitely (and thus photons & black holes perceive the Big Bang as already over)?

How can there be any *absolute age of a universe with physically infinite options of inertial reference frames an "object" can attain?

Space news on Phys.org
jahzam said:
How is time dilation of extreme reference frames (photons, black holes, intergalactic space-time) taken into account in Big Bang cosmology?

The "age" of the universe as that term is used by cosmologists is, by convention, the age according to "comoving" observers, i.e., observers who always see the universe as homogeneous and isotropic. The age according to observers who are in some other state of motion will be smaller.

jahzam said:
Since from the POV of a singularity or a photon, their clocks have effectively stopped

No, that's not correct. There is no valid "POV of a singularity or a photon". (A photon at least has a well-defined worldline with zero arc length; the fact that the arc length is zero is often incorrectly described as "time being stopped" for a photon. A singularity doesn't even have a well-defined worldline, so I don't know what a "clock" for a singularity would be, even in a mistaken interpretation.)

jahzam said:
any lower inertial reference frames have already run their whole timelines (reached max entropy).

I have no idea what this means.

jahzam said:
Doesn't relativity mean that from the POV of any photon or black hole, all slower or lower-g bodies instantly age near-infinitely

No. The time since the Big Bang according to comoving observers does not depend on how much time has elapsed on anyone else's clock.

jahzam said:
(and thus photons & black holes perceive the Big Bang as already over)?

I don't know what this means either.

jahzam said:
How can there be any *absolute age of a universe with physically infinite options of inertial reference frames an "object" can attain?

There isn't, if by "absolute" you mean "age according to any clock, regardless of its state of motion". But that's not what cosmologists actually mean by "the age of the universe". See above.

The reference frame of a photon or a singularity isn't a concept that makes sense. Time isn't defined in any meaningful sense for a photon, and a black hole singularity isn't meaningfully "at the same time as" anything else.

The 13.9bn year age usually quoted for the universe is that measured by a so-called co-moving observer, one who always sees the cosmic microwave background as isotropic. This is the maximum possible age. All other observers will measure less time since the Big Bang. Observers who move very close to the speed of light relative to a co-moving observer may measure an arbitrarily short age.

Likes krater
jahzam said:
Doesn't relativity mean that from the POV of any photon or black hole, all slower or lower-g bodies instantly age near-infinitely (and thus photons & black holes perceive the Big Bang as already over)?
There is no such thing as a "POV of a photon" so the question is meaningless.

EDIT: I see I'm late to the party

phinds said:
EDIT: I see I'm late to the party
Me too. Time dilation effects from the speed and information density of Peter's post, I think.

Likes phinds
Ibix said:
Me too. Time dilation effects from the speed and information density of Peter's post, I think.
:smile:

jahzam said:
Peeling this out into its own thread for clarity:
How is time dilation of extreme reference frames (photons, black holes, intergalactic space-time) taken into account in Big Bang cosmology? Since from the POV of a singularity or a photon, their clocks have effectively stopped and any lower inertial reference frames have already run their whole timelines (reached max entropy).
It has no effect, really.

The earliest that we can see is around 300,000 years or so after the "Big Bang". No photons from the really early times are visible (because the universe before roughly 300,000 years was opaque).

Extremely compact objects like black holes are so small that very few lines of sight ever intersect with them. Those that do have an effect usually do so because they're really bright (e.g. quasars). When attempting to measure the signal that was emitted at around 300,000 years, the Cosmic Microwave Background, these bright sources are cut out of the data and do not contribute to the result.

Time dilation around such extreme objects is more a question of astrophysics, where people might be interested in, for instance, the dynamics of accretion disks around black holes, or how black holes grow over time. It has no impact in cosmology beyond understanding those objects.

1. What is a relativistic reference frame?

A relativistic reference frame is a way of describing the position and motion of objects in space and time using the principles of special relativity. It takes into account the fact that the laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does the theory of relativity relate to the Big Bang?

The theory of relativity is essential in understanding the Big Bang because it helps us describe the expansion of the universe and the behavior of matter and energy in the early stages of the universe. It also explains how the universe evolved from a hot, dense state to its current state of expansion.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang theory, including the observation of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the large-scale structure of the universe. Additionally, the redshift of distant galaxies provides strong evidence for the expansion of the universe.

4. Can we observe the Big Bang directly?

No, we cannot observe the Big Bang directly because it occurred over 13 billion years ago. However, we can observe the afterglow of the Big Bang, known as the cosmic microwave background radiation, which provides valuable information about the early universe.

5. How does the concept of time change in a relativistic reference frame?

In a relativistic reference frame, time is not absolute and can vary depending on the observer's relative motion. This is known as time dilation and is a consequence of the speed of light being constant for all observers. It means that time passes slower for objects in motion compared to those at rest.