Relativity along an axis in an inertial frame

In summary: The two events took place at different times in two different frames of reference, so the proper time and distance are different.
ZanyCat
Suppose that two events occur on the x-axis of an inertial frame, Δx apart with a time interval between the events of Δt.
a) the proper time interval between the events is...?
b) the proper distance between the events is...?

I think I'm just getting confused by the wording. I imagined that I was in the same frame of reference, and therefore the answers are Δt and Δx. But evidently, I'm wrong. Do I need to set the speed of the frame to 'v' and do something with simultaneous equations to remove that variable?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, so I defined a stationary reference frame as S, and defined the frame in the question as S'. S' is moving wrt S at a velocity v.
So the proper time is the Δt observed in S', and the proper length is the Δx observed in S'.

I think I've worked out a, but struggling with b. I'm using the length contraction formula as one equation, and the Lorentz coordinate transformation as the second equation, but when I solve them simultaneously I can only achieve v=0.

Start with definitions. What are proper time and distance?

Proper length is measured distance in the FOR where the objects are at rest, i.e. in frame S'.

I'm using the equations L' = L/gamma and x' = gamma(x-vt) and trying to solve these simultaneously, am I on the right track?
I can't determine whether L' = x' and L = x, or L' = x and L = x', though...

What are the "objects" in the case? Are they at rest as stated? In what reference frame are they at rest?

The objects are two arbitrary points situated along the x-axis of S', and are at rest in frame S', thus always separated by delta x.

If you measure distance between two arbitrary points, you get arbitrary results. I do not think this is what the problem is about. Connect "objects" with the description of the problem.

ZanyCat said:
Suppose that two events occur on the x-axis of an inertial frame, Δx apart with a time interval between the events of Δt.
a) the proper time interval between the events is...?
b) the proper distance between the events is...?

I think I'm just getting confused by the wording. I imagined that I was in the same frame of reference, and therefore the answers are Δt and Δx. But evidently, I'm wrong. Do I need to set the speed of the frame to 'v' and do something with simultaneous equations to remove that variable?

Thanks!
Given the information as stated, with everything motionless in an inertial frame, why would the "proper time interval" not be [itex]\Delta t[/itex] and the "proper distance" [itex]\Delta x[/itex].

What is the concept of relativity along an axis in an inertial frame?

Relativity along an axis in an inertial frame is the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers moving at a constant speed in a straight line, regardless of their relative positions or velocities.

How does relativity along an axis in an inertial frame affect the perception of time and space?

According to the theory of relativity, time and space are relative concepts and can appear differently to different observers depending on their relative motion. This means that the perception of time and space can vary for observers in different inertial frames.

What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the effects of relative motion on the perception of time and space, while general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time.

Can relativity along an axis in an inertial frame be observed in everyday life?

Yes, relativity along an axis in an inertial frame can be observed in everyday life through various phenomena such as time dilation, length contraction, and the twin paradox.

How has the theory of relativity impacted our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a new framework for understanding the laws of physics and explaining various phenomena such as gravity, black holes, and the expansion of the universe.