Relativity-Finding the time of an event

• Thread starter tmlfan_17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: … but even the same person may use different clocks: if you're timing an experiment, you're very likely to start a stop-watch at zero, to make calculation easier (ie to avoid having to subtract the "real start time" from every reading)
tmlfan_17
For the problem below, I understand how to solve it using numbers, but I am having trouble understanding the physics/logic behind the solution. More specifically, I do not understand how the time of seeing the light flash is different compared to the actual arrival of light. Any assistance would be very helpful. Thanks.

Experimenter A in reference frame S stands at the origin looking in the positive x-direction. Experimenter B stands at x = 900 m looking in the negative x-direction. A firecracker explodes somewhere between them. Experimenter B sees the light flash at t = 3.0 ms. Experimenter A sees the light flash at t = 4.0 ms. What are the spacetime coordinates of the explosion?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tmlfan_17! :wink:
tmlfan_17 said:
… I do not understand how the time of seeing the light flash is different compared to the actual arrival of light.

they are the same: you do see the light when it arrives at your eye :smile:

(but what does this have to do with relativity? the observers are at rest relative to each other :confused:)

I think that this problem relates to relativity because frame of references are possibly important to the understanding of relativity. From my understanding, light takes 1.0 μs to reach experimenter B (as light travels at 300 m/μs). However, he/she sees it at 3.0 μs. I don't understand why they are not seeing it at 1.0 μs.

i think i don't understand the original question :confused:

what is S ?

S is the standing reference frame for which both Experimenter A and B are within. I will post the solution to the problem below in (.jpg format). Hopefully this will help clarify my concerns.

Attachments

• Pic.jpg
    Pic.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 388
tmlfan_17 said:
S is the standing reference frame for which both Experimenter A and B are within. I will post the solution to the problem below in (.jpg format). Hopefully this will help clarify my concerns.

ah, that clears up what was puzzling me about what you originally posted …
tmlfan_17 said:
Experimenter B sees the light flash at t = 3.0 ms. Experimenter A sees the light flash at t = 4.0 ms.

… that should have been 3.0 µs and 4.0 µs :redface:

ok, so light would take 3 µs to go from A to B

so if the flash takes a µs to reach A and b µs to reach B, then a + b = 3

and also a - b = 1 (because when the flash reaches B, it stil has 1 µs to go before it reaches A)

so a = 2, b = 1 :smile:
From my understanding, light takes 1.0 μs to reach experimenter B (as light travels at 300 m/μs). However, he/she sees it at 3.0 μs. I don't understand why they are not seeing it at 1.0 μs.

yes, b = 1 µs

so since the question tells you that the time on the clock when it reaches B is 3 µs (and for A, a = 2 µs, and the arrival time is 4µs), that means it must have started at 2 µs

(and yes, there's no relativity in all of that! :wink:)

I apologize for the copy and paste mishap. From my understanding the time on the clock that the light reaches Experimenter B is 3 µs, but the actual time of travel for the light is 1 µs (making the time of the incident at t=2 µs). The 3 µs is almost like a "false time". Does that look correct?

hi tmlfan_17! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
tmlfan_17 said:
From my understanding the time on the clock that the light reaches Experimenter B is 3 µs, but the actual time of travel for the light is 1 µs (making the time of the incident at t=2 µs). The 3 µs is almost like a "false time". Does that look correct?

yes that's correct :smile:

the flash happens at 2, the light takes 1 to reach B at 3, and 2 to reach A at 4

but i don't understand your worry about "false time" …

what do you think "real time" is??

time is what we want it to be, i may set my watch at zero at a totally different time to when you set yours at zero

if we live in different time zones, that's obvious

but even the same person may use different clocks: if you're timing an experiment, you're very likely to start a stop-watch at zero, to make calculation easier (ie to avoid having to subtract the "real start time" from every reading)

Likes 1 person

What is relativity and why is it important?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between space and time. It is important because it has been proven to accurately explain the behavior of objects in extreme conditions, such as near the speed of light, and has revolutionized our understanding of the universe.

How does relativity help us find the time of an event?

Relativity allows us to calculate the time of an event from different perspectives, taking into account the relative motion and gravitational fields of the observers. This is known as the theory of relativity of simultaneity, which states that the concept of "now" is relative and depends on the observer's frame of reference.

What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the relationship between space and time for objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity includes the effects of gravity and non-uniform motion. General relativity is a more comprehensive theory that explains the behavior of objects in all situations, including those involving strong gravitational fields.

How does time dilation occur in relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by relativity that states time passes slower for objects moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. This is due to the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of massive objects, which affects the passage of time for nearby objects.

Can we test the predictions of relativity?

Yes, the predictions of relativity have been extensively tested and have been found to be accurate. Some of the most famous experiments include the Michelson-Morley experiment and the observation of gravitational lensing. Additionally, many technological advancements, such as GPS, rely on the principles of relativity to function correctly.