1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity - "Simultaneity"

1. Nov 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An experimenter triggers two lights simultaneously, which produces a
    large flash located at the origin of his reference frame and a small one at x = 23.8 km.
    An observer, who moves with speed 0.374c in the positive x direction, also views the
    flashes. What is the time interval in seconds between them, according to her (the observer)?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]
    \Delta t = \gamma (\Delta t' + \frac{v \Delta x'}{c^2})
    [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have use the equation above and got an answer. However, if I am correct, I do not fully understand it, and the question also asks us to clearly explain each step of our solution, so would appreciate some advice/help with that. And if I am not correct then I would appreciate if someone could point out what I did wrong and any feedback.

I used the above equation, and because of the way the question is worded I assume that t' is zero, i.e. according to the experimenter there is no time between the flashes so then the above equation becomes...
    [tex]
    \Delta t = \gamma (\frac{v \Delta x'}{c^2}) \\
    \Delta t = \frac{c^{-2}v \Delta x'}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}} \\
    \Delta t = \frac{(3 \times 10^8)^{-2}(0.347 \times 3 \times 10^8) (23800)}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(0.347 \times 3 \times 10^8)^2}{(3 \times 10^8)^2}}} = 2.935 \times 10^{-5} s = 29.35 \mu s
    [/tex]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2014 #2
    Looks good, although that Δx should be a Δx'.

Chet

4. Nov 24, 2014 #3
    Thanks :) Ah yes, I typed it up wrong once and then copied and pasted it through the calculation :oops:. I've gone back and changed it now :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted