Simultaneous events in different frames of reference

In summary, the conversation discusses the timing of light flashes in two frames, F and F', with F' moving at 0.8c relative to F. The distance and time of the flashes in F' are given, and the process of finding the time it takes for the light to travel to the observer is explained. The final result is that one flash occurs at t' = 2.667 s and the other at t' = -2.667 s in F'. The calculation for the time it takes for the light to reach the observer is also provided.
Kyrios

Homework Statement

In frame F there are two lights on the x-axis at D and -D (D=0.6x10^9 m ) which flash simultaneously when t=0. There is another frame F' which moves at v=0.8c in standard configuration with F.
I need to work out when observers standing at the origin of both frame F and F' will see the light flashes, and also in frame F' if the speed is -0.8c instead.

Homework Equations

[tex] x' = γ(x-vt) [/tex]
[tex] ct' = γ(ct - \frac{vx}{c}) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think for observers in frame F it will be 2 sec but I'm not sure how to work out when observers at the origin in frame F' will see the flashes. I've got the distance to both points in F' and the time the flashes take place in F' but I am not certain what to do with it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kyrios said:
I've got the distance to both points in F' and the time the flashes take place in F' but I am not certain what to do with it.
If you've worked out this much, then it should be easy to find the time interval that it takes the light to travel from the location of a flash to the observer. What is the speed of light in F'?

TSny said:
What is the speed of light in F'?

It should be c, like in all reference frames. I'm just getting slightly confused by the fact that frame F' is moving. And by which flash the observer sees at what time.

The flashes occur at 2.666 seconds in frame F'. Do I need to work out distance that it's moved in this time, add it to the original distance D and then divide by c?
If so, I get this to be 6 seconds. But I'm not sure whether this is the same for both flashes of light or not.

Kyrios said:
It should be c, like in all reference frames. I'm just getting slightly confused by the fact that frame F' is moving. And by which flash the observer sees at what time.
The flashes occur at 2.666 seconds in frame F'.

Only one of the flashes occurs at time t' = +2.667 s in F'.
Do I need to work out distance that it's moved in this time, add it to the original distance D and then divide by c?
If so, I get this to be 6 seconds. But I'm not sure whether this is the same for both flashes of light or not.
In F' one of the flashes occurs at time t' = 2.667 s. But the observer in F' won't see the flash until the light gets to her. So, you'll just need to find the additional time it takes the light to travel to the observer. Similarly for the other flash.

TSny said:
Only one of the flashes occurs at time t' = +2.667 s in F'.
The other one should be at t' = -2.667s.

TSny said:
In F' one of the flashes occurs at time t' = 2.667 s. But the observer in F' won't see the flash until the light gets to her. So, you'll just need to find the additional time it takes the light to travel to the observer. Similarly for the other flash.

I'm doing 1x10^9 / 3x10^8 = 3.333 s
3.333 + 2.666 = 6 s.

And the other frame would be 3.333 - 2.666 = 0.666 s?

Kyrios said:
The other one should be at t' = -2.667s.

I'm doing 1x10^9 / 3x10^8 = 3.333 s
3.333 + 2.666 = 6 s.

And the other frame would be 3.333 - 2.666 = 0.666 s?

That looks good to me. [Edit: "other frame" -> "other flash"]

Last edited:
great, thanks for your help :)

1. What are simultaneous events in different frames of reference?

Simultaneous events in different frames of reference refer to events that occur at the same time, but are perceived differently by observers in different reference frames or points of view. This concept is a key component of the theory of relativity.

2. How do we determine if events are simultaneous in different frames of reference?

To determine if events are simultaneous in different frames of reference, we need to use the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same in all inertial reference frames. This means that if two observers are moving at constant velocities relative to each other, they should observe the same laws of physics, including the timing of events.

3. Can simultaneous events in different frames of reference have different orders?

Yes, simultaneous events in different frames of reference can have different orders. This is because the concept of simultaneity is relative and depends on the observer's frame of reference. Two events that are simultaneous for one observer may not be simultaneous for another observer in a different frame of reference.

4. How do simultaneous events in different frames of reference affect our perception of time?

Simultaneous events in different frames of reference can affect our perception of time because time is relative and can appear to pass at different rates for observers in different frames of reference. This is known as time dilation and is a fundamental aspect of the theory of relativity.

5. Can we have simultaneous events in different frames of reference in everyday life?

Yes, we can have simultaneous events in different frames of reference in everyday life. For example, two people traveling on separate trains may experience the same event, such as a lightning strike, at different times due to their different frames of reference. However, they would both consider the event to be simultaneous from their own point of view.