Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Relativity of simultaneity

1. Nov 7, 2017 #76

Rap

I agree on both counts, but the bottom line is that this is a problem in spacetime geometry, pure and simple. It’s a geometry problem, and our words should be constrained by that fact.

I don’t think you were being awkward, I think you were doing a better job than I was in paring the problem down to its geometric essentials. We lose nothing by considering the light emitted by the spark to be a set of light-speed point particles (“short flashes”) emitted in all directions at the spark event and then choosing a minimal set which serve to specify the essence of the situation so we can discuss and resolve it.

I think the problem is that Alfredo Tiki does not understand this and so we have to go through the problem step-by-step until we come to a disagreement and then we can focus on resolving it. My post was an attempt to do that. If he can agree on the setup then we take the next step. If not, then there’s no point in going any further.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted