Relativity: Pion decay can someone check my answers please

N(t) = N0 e^{-t/T}In summary, a negatively charged pion with mass 140MeV/c^{2} and lifetime 2.6 x 10^{-8}s is accelerated to a total energy of 2.1 x 10^{3} MeV in the laboratory frame. The relativistic factor is 15, which is used to calculate the pion's lifetime in the laboratory frame to be 1.0 x 10^-9s. The speed of the pions in the lab frame is 0.998c. When 2000 of these pions are produced, they will have a lifetime of 1 \mus. The mean distance traveled by the pions before decay
lozzyjay
Hello! I have to hand in this coursework tomorrow and I just wanted to check I had done it correctly so if someone could have a look I'd be really grateful... It's quite long...

Homework Statement

A negatively charged pion [tex]\pi[/tex][tex]^{-}[/tex] has mass m=140MeV/c[tex]^{2}[/tex] and lifetime 2.6 x 10[tex]^{-8}[/tex]s.

a) If the pion is accelerated with respect to the laboratory such that it has a total energy of 2.1 x 10[tex]^{3}[/tex] MeV, show that the relativistic factor is 15.
b) Using this factor, determine the pion lifetime when measured in the laboratory frame.
c) Whar is the speed of the pions (in units of c) in the laboratory frame?
d) At time t=0, 2000 of these energetic pions are produced in the laboratory. How many pions will be left after 1 [tex]\mu[/tex]s, as measured on a clock in the laboratory?
e) What is the mean distance in the lab traveled by the pions before they decay?

Homework Equations

E = [tex]\gamma[/tex]mc^2
T[tex]_{0}[/tex] = t/[tex]\gamma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok here is what I have done...

a) E = [tex]\gamma[/tex]mc^2

2.1 x 10[tex]^{9}[/tex] = [tex]\gamma[/tex] (140 x 10^6)

therefore gamma is 15...

b) T0 = t/[tex]\gamma[/tex]

= (2.6 x 10^8)/15

T0 = 1.0 x 10^-9s

c) 1.0 x 10^-9 = (2.6 x 10^8)/[tex]\gamma[/tex]

1/(1 - (v^2/c^2))^1/2 = (2.6 x 10^8)/[tex]\gamma[/tex]

rearranging and simplifying...

I got v = 0.998c

d) This is where I got stuck, I'm not sure which formula to use or how to go about this.
e) Same for this question.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
b) is backwards; it lives longer in the lab frame.

e) d = v t

d) exponential decay law

1. What is pion decay in relation to relativity?

Pion decay refers to the process in which a pion particle, a subatomic particle made up of quarks, decays into other particles. This process is governed by the principles of relativity, specifically Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How does the concept of time dilation apply to pion decay?

Time dilation, a consequence of special relativity, states that time moves slower for objects in motion compared to objects at rest. In pion decay, this means that the decay process appears to take longer for an observer in motion compared to an observer at rest.

3. What is the relationship between pion decay and the speed of light?

Einstein's theory of special relativity states that the speed of light is constant and the maximum speed at which anything can travel. This means that the particles produced through pion decay, such as muons, must also travel at or near the speed of light.

4. Can pion decay be used to test the principles of relativity?

Yes, pion decay has been used in experiments to test the predictions of special relativity. These experiments have confirmed the time dilation effect and the constancy of the speed of light, providing evidence for the validity of Einstein's theories.

5. How does pion decay contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Pion decay is a fundamental process in particle physics and has helped scientists understand the behavior of subatomic particles. It has also provided evidence for the principles of relativity, which are crucial for our understanding of the universe and its workings.