Relearning high school math & physics

In summary, the conversation reveals that the speaker is interested in physics at a layperson's level, but feels they need to brush up on the fundamentals of calculus and physics in order to advance their knowledge. They are looking for online resources and recommendations for online courses to relearn this material. The conversation also includes suggestions for textbooks and tips for self-study.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm very into physics at a layperson's level, but I find I am not going get anywhere without the math and physics theory to back it up. I took physics, calculus and functions in high school, but that was a looooong time ago. I'm thinking that, in order to advance my knowledge in physics, I'm going to have to "go back to school".

I think I need to brush up on the fundamentals of calculus and the fundamentals of physics (eg. SAVTU equations). Can anyone recommend some good online resources where I can relearn this stuff?

I will look through the PF tutorials, but I think I need a little more than that. I should probably do exercises, etc. I guess I'm thinking of actual online courses but I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I'm very into physics at a layperson's level, but I find I am not going get anywhere without the math and physics theory to back it up. I took physics, calculus and functions in high school, but that was a looooong time ago. I'm thinking that, in order to advance my knowledge in physics, I'm going to have to "go back to school".

I think I need to brush up on the fundamentals of calculus and the fundamentals of physics (eg. SAVTU equations). Can anyone recommend some good online resources where I can relearn this stuff?

I will look through the PF tutorials, but I think I need a little more than that. I should probably do exercises, etc. I guess I'm thinking of actual online courses but I'm open to suggestions.

http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/resources/Strang/strangtext.htm
http://www-math.mit.edu/~djk/calculus_beginners/

Get these lecture notes on mechanics, SR and simple classical (lagrangian) mechanics (w/ exercises AND solutions). I have the set from 2004 ("Old Book"), and thanks to you I've found that some of the chapters have been updated. :)

http://my.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k7729&panel=icb.pagecontent106094%3Ar%241%3F%243%3D%252Fold_book&pageid=icb.page34421&pageContentId=icb.pagecontent106094&view=view.do&viewParam_directory=/#a_icb_pagecontent106094

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd pick up at textbook by James E. Steward called Calculus.

He has an introductory part and Appendixes for those students who might need it.

Great way to start.

Good luck with everything too!

DaveC426913 said:
I think I need to brush up on the fundamentals of calculus and the fundamentals of physics (eg. SAVTU equations).

SAVTU equations? :confused:

When I google on "SAVTU" all I get are pages in Turkish and Czech!

James Stewart-INtro to Calculus
R.Serway - Intro to (modern) physics for scientists

Youch, 1513 pages and 1184 pages. I think what people forget is that they had courses to set a steady pace for them over the course of 18 months or so. I think I might find those too intimidating for self-study. Maybe something easier to hold while reading, like the Dover Essential Calculus, would be a better place to start.

Also, since you aren't taking courses, if you do get a textbook, you don't need to get the latest edition pushed by the publisher. I really like the 3rd edition of Resnick and Halliday's Physics (not Fundamentals of Physics) in two volumes.

Daverz said:
Youch, 1513 pages and 1184 pages.

College-level physics textbooks always include far more material than can be covered in a normal course. Publishers don't want to risk losing a potential sale to an instructor whose favorite special topic isn't included.

I don't think I've ever taught a course in which I've gotten though the entire textbook. Usually it's somewhere between half and two-thirds.

Right, an instructor will choose what to leave out and what problems to assign. Without that guidance, I'm wondering how appropriate a big text like that is for self-study.

Daverz said:
Right, an instructor will choose what to leave out and what problems to assign. Without that guidance, I'm wondering how appropriate a big text like that is for self-study.

Why wouldn't they be? You study the sections you want to learn, and do problems in a section until they are boring because they are trivial to you.

There usually is guidance in most textbooks anyways, a section in the intro stating what sections the author typically uses for a 1 term course for example. Or some kind of dependancy thing, which sections are required as pre reqs for which sections. Or marking sections as 'optional' meaning later material doesn't rely on them.

As you mentioned, the latest editions are absolutely not necessary for self study (this is often true when taking a course as well), so used or free books are good options. Calc books tend to not be as cheap as I'd hope in used bookstores probably just based on their size. Discarded old editions can sometimes be had lying around math departments, or university swap shops.

jtbell said:
SAVTU equations? :confused:

When I google on "SAVTU" all I get are pages in Turkish and Czech!
s=distance, a=acceleration, v=velocity(initial), t=time, u=velocity(final)

There's like, five formulae that intertwine these five variables, with which you can solve almost all basic mechnical physics problems.

Sorry, I guess that's changed since my high school days too.

Certainly the variables for initial and final velocities have changed. :D

What are the key concepts in high school math and physics?

The key concepts in high school math include algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. In physics, the key concepts include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and waves.

Why is it important to relearn high school math and physics?

Relearning high school math and physics can help to improve problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and overall understanding of the world around us. These subjects are also fundamental for many higher level courses and careers in science and technology.

What are some effective strategies for relearning high school math and physics?

Some effective strategies for relearning high school math and physics include reviewing basic concepts, practicing problems, seeking help from teachers or tutors, and using online resources and study guides. It can also be helpful to identify and focus on areas of weakness and regularly review material to retain knowledge.

What are some common challenges when relearning high school math and physics?

Some common challenges when relearning high school math and physics include struggling to grasp new concepts, forgetting previously learned material, and feeling overwhelmed by the amount of information. It is important to be patient, seek help when needed, and practice regularly to overcome these challenges.

How can relearning high school math and physics benefit my future?

Relearning high school math and physics can benefit your future by improving critical thinking and problem-solving skills, increasing career opportunities in science and technology fields, and providing a foundation for understanding more complex concepts in higher level courses. Additionally, having a strong understanding of math and physics can help in everyday life, such as managing finances and making informed decisions.