Reliable Method for Launching Ping Pong Balls at Varying Speeds?

In summary, an electrical engineering student from Washington State University is designing a beer pong robot that requires a launching mechanism. The student wants it to be small and reliable, and has considered using a mechanism similar to a video they saw or compressed air. They have also thought about controlling the vertical angle of the launcher and have seen examples of high end table tennis robots using twin wheels for consistent spin control. They are looking for suggestions for a compact and reliable launching mechanism.
Kurow
Hello, I'm an electrical engineering student at Washington State University, and I am attempting to design a beer pong (more properly known as beirut) playing robot. It won't be completely autonomous, as you will still have to tell it when to shoot, and load the balls, etc. Anyway, all of the components necessary to make it are clear to me besides the launching mechanism.

What I need is a launching mechanism that will launch the ball varying distances in a reliable manner that is not too large. I've had a few ideas for doing this: something similar to a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBxUjBUdQ5o", or perhaps using compressed air? EDIT: The wheel option looks terribly inaccurate based on all the youtube videos.

I'd like to keep the robot relatively small; hopefully it will be less than a few cubic feet. Any suggestions? Thanks!

EDIT: I just realized that in implementing a control for the vertical angle of the launcher that I would no longer need it to change it's launch speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The high end table tennis robots use twin wheels, similar to a baseball pitching machine. The wheels speed are indivdually programmable, to allow spin control (for example, top wheel forwards, bottom wheel backwards for heavy top spin). From what I've seen these appear to be fairly consistent.

http://www.megaspin.net/store/default.asp?cid=robots&type=High End Robots

Last edited:

Hello, as a scientist, I would suggest using a pneumatic or air-powered launching mechanism for your robot. This would allow for more precise control over the speed and distance of the ping pong ball launches. You could also consider using a solenoid valve to control the air pressure and release of the ball. Additionally, incorporating a sensor to measure the air pressure and adjust it accordingly for different distances could help ensure reliable launches. Another option could be to use a motorized linear actuator to control the launch angle and distance. Whichever method you choose, it would be important to test and calibrate the mechanism to ensure consistent and accurate launches. Best of luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of launching ping pong balls at varying speeds?

The purpose of launching ping pong balls at varying speeds is to study the effects of different speeds on the trajectory and distance traveled by the ball. This can also help in understanding the physics behind the motion of the ball.

2. What is the most reliable method for launching ping pong balls at varying speeds?

The most reliable method for launching ping pong balls at varying speeds is by using a ball launcher or throwing machine. These machines allow for precise control of the speed and angle at which the ball is launched, making it easier to conduct experiments and collect data.

3. How do you measure the speed of a ping pong ball?

The speed of a ping pong ball can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a radar gun or a high-speed camera. Another method is to calculate the speed based on the distance traveled and the time it takes for the ball to reach a certain point.

4. Can the same method be used for launching ping pong balls of different weights?

Yes, the same method can be used for launching ping pong balls of different weights as long as the machine used allows for adjusting the speed and angle of launch. However, the results may vary due to the differences in weight and aerodynamics of the balls.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when launching ping pong balls at varying speeds?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when launching ping pong balls at varying speeds. This may include wearing protective eyewear and ensuring that there are no people or objects in the path of the ball. It is also recommended to conduct the experiments in a controlled environment to minimize any potential hazards.