Remainder Theorem and Error Help Why are these 2 examples different?

In summary: So the error estimated by the Taylor remainder theorem (x4/4!) will be smaller than the error estimated by the alternating series remainder technique (x5/5!).Hope that helps!
Cloudless
So we had two examples in class, but I don't understand why they're different. And the professor is away today, which means I won't see him until the entire weekend has passed (a nightmare for students like me who obsess over a problem).

1. For which x is the approximation sin(x) ≈ x - (x^3)/6 correct within 1/100?

The Taylor series for sin(x):

x - (x^3)/3! + (x^5)/5! - (x^7)/7! + ...

The answer was, For every x not equal to 0, this is an alternating series. Thus the error in sin(x) ≈ x - (x^3)/3! is no larger than |(x^5)/5!|. So |(x^5)/5!| < 1/100. 2. For which x is the approximation sin(x) = x - x^3/6 correct within 1/1000?

My professor took the 3 order polynomial for the Taylor Series of sin(x) and used the Remainder Theorem:
R3(x) = (f4c)(x-0)4/4!

f(x) = sin(x)
f1(x) = cos(x)
f2(x) = -sin(x)
f3(x) = -cos(x)
f4(x) = sin(x)

So |sin(c)| ≤ 1
|R3(x)| ≤ |x|4/4!

Answer: |x|4/4! ≤ 1/1000I don't understand why they used Remainder Theorem for the second one. Yes, I know the 1/100 and 1/1000 are different :devil: But why is the approach different?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cloudless said:
So we had two examples in class, but I don't understand why they're different. And the professor is away today, which means I won't see him until the entire weekend has passed (a nightmare for students like me who obsess over a problem).

1. For which x is the approximation sin(x) ≈ x - (x^3)/6 correct within 1/100?

The Taylor series for sin(x):

x - (x^3)/3! + (x^5)/5! - (x^7)/7! + ...

The answer was, For every x not equal to 0, this is an alternating series. Thus the error in sin(x) ≈ x - (x^3)/3! is no larger than |(x^5)/5!|. So |(x^5)/5!| < 1/100.

2. For which x is the approximation sin(x) = x - x^3/6 correct within 1/1000?

My professor took the 3 order polynomial for the Taylor Series of sin(x) and used the Remainder Theorem:
R3(x) = (f4c)(x-0)4/4!

f(x) = sin(x)
f1(x) = cos(x)
f2(x) = -sin(x)
f3(x) = -cos(x)
f4(x) = sin(x)

So |sin(c)| ≤ 1
|R3(x)| ≤ |x|4/4!

Answer: |x|4/4! ≤ 1/1000

I don't understand why they used Remainder Theorem for the second one. Yes, I know the 1/100 and 1/1000 are different :devil: But why is the approach different?

In the first, your professor is using a result that applies only to alternating series, in which the error is less than the absolute value of the first unused term. In the second, he/she is using a more general result that applies to Taylor series, in which the error is estimated by a formula involving the next term in the series.

Mark44 said:
In the first, your professor is using a result that applies only to alternating series, in which the error is less than the absolute value of the first unused term. In the second, he/she is using a more general result that applies to Taylor series, in which the error is estimated by a formula involving the next term in the series.

So if the second question was instead the same as the first ( For which x is the approximation sin(x) = x - (x^3)/6 correct within 1/100? ), I should be able to find an answer identical to the first answer?

Steps: Same procedure for the 2nd example above. Instead, |R3(x)| ≤ 1/100, so

|x|^4/4! ≤ 1/100.

But according to the answer in the first example, it should be |x|^5/5! ≤ 1/100, I thought.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, then no, the two techniques would not give the same answer for an error less than 1/100.

In both techniques we are approximating sin(x) by x - x3/6
The alternating series remainder technique calculates the error from the first unused term, which is fifth degree.
The Taylor remainder theorem calculates the error from the next term, which is fourth degree. For values of x that are reasonably close to zero, x5 < x4.

1. What is the Remainder Theorem and how is it used?

The Remainder Theorem is a mathematical concept that is used in polynomial division. It states that if a polynomial function P(x) is divided by (x-a), then the remainder is equal to P(a). In simpler terms, it helps us find the remainder when dividing a polynomial by a linear factor. This theorem is often used in finding roots of polynomial equations and in solving problems related to polynomial functions.

2. Can you explain the difference between the Remainder Theorem and the Error Help Theorem?

While both the Remainder Theorem and the Error Help Theorem involve finding the remainder, they are used in different contexts. The Remainder Theorem is used in polynomial division, while the Error Help Theorem is used in estimating the error or uncertainty in a calculated value. The Error Help Theorem states that the difference between the actual value and the estimated value is equal to the remainder when the polynomial is divided by (x-a), where 'a' is the estimated value.

3. How does the Remainder Theorem help in finding roots of polynomial equations?

The Remainder Theorem is helpful in finding roots of polynomial equations because it tells us that if a polynomial P(x) has a root at 'a', then (x-a) is a factor of P(x). This means that we can use the Remainder Theorem to check if a given value is a root of a polynomial equation, and if it is, we can use synthetic division to simplify the equation and find the other roots.

4. Can you give an example of how the Error Help Theorem is used in real life?

The Error Help Theorem is used in many fields, including science, engineering, and statistics. For example, in an experiment to measure the speed of sound, the theoretical value can be calculated using the formula v=331.3 + 0.606T, where T is the temperature in degrees Celsius. However, this value may not be completely accurate due to experimental errors. The Error Help Theorem can be used to estimate the uncertainty in the calculated value by finding the remainder when the polynomial 331.3 + 0.606T is divided by (T-a), where 'a' is the measured temperature.

5. What is the importance of understanding the Remainder Theorem and Error Help Theorem?

Both the Remainder Theorem and the Error Help Theorem are fundamental concepts in mathematics and have various applications in different fields. Understanding these theorems can help us solve problems related to polynomial functions, estimate uncertainties in calculations, and make accurate predictions. They also serve as building blocks for more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques.