1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Removal of 1 g from accelerometer

1. Jun 28, 2010 #1

I was wondering if it is possible to remove the 1g (sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)) from an accelerometer when in static positions.

When the device is tilted to different positions the total g-force does not equal 1 and differs quite a bit from position to position.

I would like to be able to have the device at a particular angle which gives a reading of 0,0,0 as the device is static (angle not important) and when linear acceleration is experienced thay it just shows on the relevant axis.

Is there a formula that can achieve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2010 #2
    It can likely be "zeroed", or calibrated in a way that you redefine the force of gravity to be zero g's. But that's not really what you're asking about, and I hate to disappoint, but, as Einstein would tell you, rest in the presence of a gravitational field and linear acceleration are indistinguishable. There is no way to teach an accelerometer to learn the difference between sitting on a table and accelerating through space in a rocket ship at 9.8 m/s^2. However, robotics engineers have done some clever things by adding gyroscopes and other components to their setup.
  4. Jun 28, 2010 #3
    I'm not really to worried about rest and linear acceleration as i have a method that determines the position. What I really want is to have a reading of 0,0,0 at rest and then if it accelerates lets say for example in the z-plane that the reading might look something like 0,0,0.2 or 0,0,-0.7. Can this be done.

5. Jun 28, 2010 #4

Science Advisor

If you have orientation of the accelerometer, yes. What you need to know is which way the true vertical points relative to the X, Y, and Z of accelerometer.
  6. Jun 28, 2010 #5
    with the values like:

0.6, 0.6, 0.53.

The magnitude is 1 so therefore could just subtract each element from itself to get:

0, 0, 0.

but if there acceleration in z direction which gives something like:

0.6, 0.6, 0.6, or 0.6, 0.6, 0.8. and to get a normalized value:

How can I solve for z?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook