Removal of 1 g from accelerometer

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of removing the 1g force from an accelerometer when in static positions. The person is looking for a way to have a reading of 0,0,0 when the device is at rest and a different reading when linear acceleration is experienced. However, it is mentioned that rest and linear acceleration are indistinguishable according to Einstein's theory. The person also asks if this can be done by knowing the orientation of the accelerometer.
mark2468
Hi.

I was wondering if it is possible to remove the 1g (sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)) from an accelerometer when in static positions.

When the device is tilted to different positions the total g-force does not equal 1 and differs quite a bit from position to position.

I would like to be able to have the device at a particular angle which gives a reading of 0,0,0 as the device is static (angle not important) and when linear acceleration is experienced thay it just shows on the relevant axis.

Is there a formula that can achieve this?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It can likely be "zeroed", or calibrated in a way that you redefine the force of gravity to be zero g's. But that's not really what you're asking about, and I hate to disappoint, but, as Einstein would tell you, rest in the presence of a gravitational field and linear acceleration are indistinguishable. There is no way to teach an accelerometer to learn the difference between sitting on a table and accelerating through space in a rocket ship at 9.8 m/s^2. However, robotics engineers have done some clever things by adding gyroscopes and other components to their setup.

I'm not really to worried about rest and linear acceleration as i have a method that determines the position. What I really want is to have a reading of 0,0,0 at rest and then if it accelerates let's say for example in the z-plane that the reading might look something like 0,0,0.2 or 0,0,-0.7. Can this be done.

Thanks.

If you have orientation of the accelerometer, yes. What you need to know is which way the true vertical points relative to the X, Y, and Z of accelerometer.

with the values like:

0.6, 0.6, 0.53.

The magnitude is 1 so therefore could just subtract each element from itself to get:

0, 0, 0.

but if there acceleration in z direction which gives something like:

0.6, 0.6, 0.6, or 0.6, 0.6, 0.8. and to get a normalized value:

0,0,z.

How can I solve for z?

1. How does removing 1 g from an accelerometer affect its accuracy?

Removing 1 g from an accelerometer can significantly impact its accuracy. Accelerometers are designed to measure acceleration, which includes the force of gravity. By removing 1 g, the accelerometer will no longer accurately measure the force of gravity, leading to potential errors in the recorded acceleration.

2. Can removing 1 g from an accelerometer damage it?

Removing 1 g from an accelerometer will not directly damage it. However, if the accelerometer is not designed to withstand sudden changes in force, such as dropping it from a height, it may cause damage. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for handling and using an accelerometer to prevent damage.

3. Why would someone want to remove 1 g from an accelerometer?

In some cases, removing 1 g from an accelerometer may be necessary to accurately measure a specific acceleration without the influence of gravity. This may be useful in certain experiments or applications where gravity needs to be isolated from the measurement.

4. How is 1 g removed from an accelerometer?

There are a few methods for removing 1 g from an accelerometer, depending on the design and capabilities of the specific device. One method is to use a calibration tool or software to adjust the accelerometer's output to compensate for the force of gravity. Another method is to physically rotate the accelerometer in a way that cancels out the force of gravity.

5. Can removing 1 g from an accelerometer improve its sensitivity?

No, removing 1 g from an accelerometer will not improve its sensitivity. The device's sensitivity is determined by its design and cannot be altered by removing 1 g. However, it may appear more sensitive without the influence of gravity, but this is simply due to the removal of a constant force and not an actual increase in sensitivity.