Renormalization of scalar field theory

In summary, in order to renormalize the 2-point function in ##\phi^4## theory, a counterterm is added to the Lagrangian which gives rise to a propagator correction that cancels the divergent term. This correction is obtained by calculating the one-loop tadpole diagram for the self-energy of the boson in dimensional regularization. The physical mass of the particle is then determined by the pole of the propagator.
Wledig
I was reading about the renormalization of ##\phi^4## theory and it was mentioned that in order to renormalize the 2-point function ##\Gamma^{(2)}(p)## we add the counterterm :

[tex]\delta \mathcal{L}_1 = -\dfrac{gm^2}{32\pi \epsilon^2}\phi^2[/tex]

to the Lagrangian, which should give rise to a propagator term of the form:

[tex]-\dfrac{igm^2}{16\pi^2 \epsilon}[/tex]

that will cancel the divergent term in ##\Gamma^{(2)}(p)##. My problem is with the expression above, it's unclear to me how to reach this propagator correction just from the Lagrangian. How can this be achieved?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't done the calculations, but wouldn't that term give rise to a propagator as the one in the mass term?
[itex] \frac{i}{p^2 - \mu^2 }[/itex]
But with [itex]\mu^2 = m^2 - \frac{gm^2}{32\pi^2 \epsilon}[/itex]
?

Yes, it's a constant term (because it's a one-point function). It's a self-energy diagram, i.e., it just contributes an additive divergent constant contributing to the mass (squared) term, i.e., you have to add a counter term to the Lagrangian. The minimal subtraction scheme just subtracts the divergent piece ##\propto 1/\epsilon##. The physical mass of the particle is given by the pole of the propagator, ##G=1/(p^2-m^2-\Sigma)##.

Likes ChrisVer

1. What is "renormalization" in scalar field theory?

Renormalization is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to remove infinities that arise in calculations of physical quantities. In scalar field theory, it is used to make the theory more physically meaningful by adjusting certain parameters to account for the effects of virtual particles.

2. Why is renormalization necessary in scalar field theory?

Renormalization is necessary in scalar field theory because the theory predicts infinite values for physical quantities, such as the mass and charge of the particles. These infinities arise due to the fact that the theory considers all possible interactions between particles, including those involving virtual particles, which have infinite energy. Renormalization allows us to remove these infinities and obtain finite, meaningful results.

3. How is renormalization performed in scalar field theory?

Renormalization is performed by introducing a cutoff parameter, which limits the range of interactions that are considered in the theory. This cutoff is then gradually removed, and the parameters of the theory are adjusted to compensate for the effects of the removed interactions. This process is repeated until the physical quantities are finite and independent of the cutoff parameter.

4. What are the main challenges in renormalization of scalar field theory?

One of the main challenges in renormalization of scalar field theory is determining the appropriate cutoff parameter and the corresponding adjustments to the parameters of the theory. This requires a deep understanding of the theory and its physical implications. Another challenge is that the renormalization process can become very complicated and involve many iterations, making it difficult to obtain precise results.

5. What are the potential implications of renormalization in scalar field theory?

The implications of renormalization in scalar field theory are significant, as it allows us to obtain meaningful and accurate predictions for physical quantities. Without renormalization, the theory would be plagued by infinities and would not be able to make accurate predictions. Additionally, renormalization has led to the development of other important theories, such as the renormalization group, which has applications in many areas of physics.