Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble Finding Renormalization Conditions in Yukawa Theory

1. Jul 11, 2015 #1
    I am trying to calculate the ##\beta## functions of the massless pseudoscalar Yukawa theory, following Peskin & Schroeder, chapter 12.2. The Lagrangian is

##{L}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu \phi)^2-\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4+\bar{\psi}(i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu)\psi-ig\bar{\psi}\gamma^5\psi\phi.##

When calculating the one-loop correction to the electron (##\psi##) propagator, there is one diagram, the expression for which is of the form

##g^2\not{\!p}\left[\mbox{logarithmic divergence} + \mbox{finite terms that depend on } \log(-p^2)\right].##

In order to calculate the ##\beta(g)## function, we now need to find the counterterm ##\delta_\psi## at the renormalization conditions given at an unphysical momentum ##p^2=−M^2##, where ##M## defines the scale we're working at. The renormalization conditions, if I understand right, are chosen to make the ##\log(−p^2)## term finite, but there is also the ##\not{\!p}## term which should be set. If I set

##\not{\!p}=M,##

I would get

##p^2=\not{\!p}^2=M^2,##

instead of ##p^2=−M^2##, as required. The remaining thing to do is to set ##\not{\!p}=iM##, but I'm having trouble justifying that.
    What are the correct renormalization conditions in this case?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2015 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

You got it wrong, ##p^2 = p^\mu p_\mu##, what you wrote is square of p slash, which I am not sure how to LaTexed it.

4. Jul 11, 2015 #3

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I'm posting only for helping with the LaTeX.
    \not{\!p}

5. Jul 11, 2015 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

##\not{\!p}## works, thanks.

6. Jul 11, 2015 #5
    Thanks for the reply!
    ##\not{\!p}^2=p_\mu \gamma^\mu p_\nu \gamma^\nu=p_\mu p_\nu(2g^{\mu\nu}-\gamma^\nu \gamma^\mu)=2p^2-\not{\!p}^2##
    and therefore
    ##p^2=\not{\!p}^2##

7. Jul 12, 2015 #6

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Thank you for correcting me, forgot the anticommutator relation between the gammas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook