Trouble Finding Renormalization Conditions in Yukawa Theory

In summary, when calculating the ##\beta## functions of the massless pseudoscalar Yukawa theory, a counterterm ##\delta_\psi## at the renormalization conditions given at an unphysical momentum ##p^2=-M^2## is needed. The renormalization conditions are chosen to make the ##\log(-p^2)## term finite, and the remaining step is to set ##\not{\!p}=iM##. This ensures that the correct renormalization conditions are met.
gobbles
I am trying to calculate the ##\beta## functions of the massless pseudoscalar Yukawa theory, following Peskin & Schroeder, chapter 12.2. The Lagrangian is

##{L}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu \phi)^2-\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4+\bar{\psi}(i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu)\psi-ig\bar{\psi}\gamma^5\psi\phi.##

When calculating the one-loop correction to the electron (##\psi##) propagator, there is one diagram, the expression for which is of the form

##g^2\not{\!p}\left[\mbox{logarithmic divergence} + \mbox{finite terms that depend on } \log(-p^2)\right].##

In order to calculate the ##\beta(g)## function, we now need to find the counterterm ##\delta_\psi## at the renormalization conditions given at an unphysical momentum ##p^2=−M^2##, where ##M## defines the scale we're working at. The renormalization conditions, if I understand right, are chosen to make the ##\log(−p^2)## term finite, but there is also the ##\not{\!p}## term which should be set. If I set

##\not{\!p}=M,##

I would get

##p^2=\not{\!p}^2=M^2,##

instead of ##p^2=−M^2##, as required. The remaining thing to do is to set ##\not{\!p}=iM##, but I'm having trouble justifying that.
What are the correct renormalization conditions in this case?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You got it wrong, ##p^2 = p^\mu p_\mu##, what you wrote is square of p slash, which I am not sure how to LaTexed it.

I'm posting only for helping with the LaTeX.
MathematicalPhysicist said:
You got it wrong, ##p^2 = p^\mu p_\mu##, what you wrote is square of p slash, which I am not sure how to LaTexed it.
\not{\!p}

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
##\not{\!p}## works, thanks.

Thanks for the reply!
##\not{\!p}^2=p_\mu \gamma^\mu p_\nu \gamma^\nu=p_\mu p_\nu(2g^{\mu\nu}-\gamma^\nu \gamma^\mu)=2p^2-\not{\!p}^2##
and therefore
##p^2=\not{\!p}^2##

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
Thank you for correcting me, forgot the anticommutator relation between the gammas.

1. What is renormalization in Yukawa theory?

Renormalization is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to remove infinities that arise in calculations of physical quantities, such as particle masses and interaction strengths. In Yukawa theory, renormalization is necessary to ensure that the theory can accurately predict experimental results.

2. Why is it difficult to find renormalization conditions in Yukawa theory?

The difficulty in finding renormalization conditions in Yukawa theory stems from the fact that the theory involves interactions between particles with different masses. This leads to more complicated mathematical expressions and makes it challenging to determine the correct renormalization conditions.

3. What are the consequences of not properly renormalizing Yukawa theory?

If Yukawa theory is not properly renormalized, the calculated physical quantities will be incorrect and may not match experimental results. This can lead to a lack of predictive power and undermine the validity of the theory.

4. How do scientists approach finding renormalization conditions in Yukawa theory?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical techniques, including perturbation theory and renormalization group methods, to determine the renormalization conditions in Yukawa theory. They also rely on experimental data to guide their calculations and ensure that the results are in agreement with observations.

5. Are there any unresolved issues with renormalization in Yukawa theory?

Yes, there are still some unresolved issues with renormalization in Yukawa theory. For example, there are ongoing debates about the most appropriate renormalization scheme to use and the best way to handle the renormalization of composite particles. Further research and development in this area are needed to fully understand and resolve these issues.