Required acceleration for takeoff

In summary, to takeoff from a 1.8km runway, a jumbo jet must reach a velocity of 360km/h. To do this, it must use a constant acceleration of 20km/h or 5.56m/s.
J-Girl
Ive come across this question, and just pondering on is i am right or completely wrong?! The question is: A jumbo jet must reach a velocity of 360km/h for takeoff. It uses a 1.8km runway. What is the constant acceleration required for it to reach the velocity before takeoff?

I tried a few different times but sometimes I get different answers. So, I have the required velocity, the distance and so far the acceleration is x.
So, first I calculated the time from 0 to 360km/h down a 1.8km runway. 360=1.8/t
=360t=0.005 hours
= 18 seconds to move down the runway.
And now i do Velocity- acceleration x time
360=A18
360/18=A
A=20km/hour or 5.56m/s

Is this completely wrong:(?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi...
I think the proper course would be to recall the proper kinematic properties of constant acceleration and displacement...
You are, no dobut acquainted with: [tex] v^2 = {v_0}^2+2as [/tex], where a is the constant acceleration, and s is the distance travelled.
Try working up from here,
Daniel
P.S
Check the units for acceleration, that should also point you in the proper direction

Last edited:
i tried that before but my answer came to be 36,000!?
As initial velocity was 0, i did: 360^2=0+2a(1.8)
= 129,600=3.6a
a=36,000
What am I missing?

Actually, yes...
If you take heed to my post-script, you'd find that units must be conserved.
You're given entries in Km & Km/h, but you're obviously looking for results in [tex] \frac{m}{s^2} [/tex]-This being the acceleration.
Are you aware as to how this conversion should take place?(From Km-m, Km/h, m/s)...
Plugging in the data properly should land you exactly where you need to be..
Daniel

still don't get it:( does that mean that 36,000 is right but just in the wrong units??

Yes, that's actually what had happened.
Look, in 1 km there are 1000m, right?
And in one hour, there should be 3600 seconds(60sec*60min).
If you then use this scale on your results(by multiplying by 1000 and dividing by 3600) you should be in the clear...
However, be sure that you do this BEFORE you paste in your variables. First, convert your V and then your s(or x). Otherwise, you'd end-up with Km/h^2 which is a different and more complex story...
Was that helpful?
Good luck,
Daniel

ohh I am sort of getting it now. thanks for all your help, much appreciated:)

1. How is required acceleration for takeoff calculated?

The required acceleration for takeoff is calculated by dividing the takeoff speed by the takeoff distance.

2. What factors affect the required acceleration for takeoff?

The required acceleration for takeoff is affected by factors such as aircraft weight, air density, runway conditions, and wind speed.

3. Why is required acceleration for takeoff important?

The required acceleration for takeoff is important because it determines how much runway distance is needed for an aircraft to safely take off. It also affects the performance and efficiency of the aircraft's engines.

4. How does the required acceleration for takeoff differ for different types of aircraft?

The required acceleration for takeoff differs for different types of aircraft due to variations in weight, engine power, and design. For example, a larger and heavier aircraft will require a longer takeoff distance and a higher acceleration compared to a smaller and lighter aircraft.

5. Can the required acceleration for takeoff be affected by weather conditions?

Yes, weather conditions such as high temperatures, high humidity, and strong headwinds can affect the required acceleration for takeoff. These conditions can decrease air density and reduce engine performance, resulting in a longer takeoff distance and a higher required acceleration.