Requirements for Applied Math Grad Schools

In summary, if you want to study Probability in a math department, you should take an upper division Linear Algebra class.
tcbh
Hi, I'm a math major coming to the end of my second year. Right now I'm leaning toward to studying Statistics or Probability in Grad School. From what I've read, Statistics doesn't use Algebra or Differential Equations at all, so classes in those areas aren't of much use. Would the same generally hold if I were to study Probability in a Math Department?

I've taken a lower division intro to Differential Equations, but the Applied Math major only requires two out of Probability, Numerical Analysis and Diff Eq's (all two quarter sequences) and I'm taking the first two. I could fit in ODE's and PDE's if necessary, but there are other electives that seem more interesting to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
tcbh said:
Hi, I'm a math major coming to the end of my second year. Right now I'm leaning toward to studying Statistics or Probability in Grad School. From what I've read, Statistics doesn't use Algebra or Differential Equations at all, so classes in those areas aren't of much use. Would the same generally hold if I were to study Probability in a Math Department?

I've taken a lower division intro to Differential Equations, but the Applied Math major only requires two out of Probability, Numerical Analysis and Diff Eq's (all two quarter sequences) and I'm taking the first two. I could fit in ODE's and PDE's if necessary, but there are other electives that seem more interesting to me.

Analysis is very important; you should definitely take it.

Personally, if I were you, I'd take as much math as I could fit into my schedule, especially if you're looking to go to grad school in applied math.

I've already taken Analysis, and I'm planning on taking a graduate course in Measure Theory in the Fall (which would allow me to take graduate Probability Theory my 4th year). The trouble is that I'm already planning on doing 3 or 4 Math/Statistics courses each quarter, so adding Algebra and Differential Equations would probably mean dropping other math electives. I'd prefer to only do that if they're a must for getting into grad schools.

You're studying Linear Algebra, right?

Mathematical Statistics uses Linear Algebra. Random Vectors, Random Matrices, etc... Writing equations in Matrix form, and also finding estimator in matrix form.

Yeah, all math majors here are required to take an upper division Linear Algebra class (as well as Analysis)

Ok, other than the math classes, I recommend learning Matlab or GAUSS or a programming language.

I have experience with C++, R and the Numerical Analysis class uses Matlab.

So basically if I have a solid amount of experience in other areas, not having Diff Eq's and Abstract Algebra isn't a big deal?

Well, missing abstract algebra certainly won't hurt an applied math degree. I'd try to find a way to fit in diff eq's if possible though.

Missing algebra isn't a big deal, but missing differential equations is. In probability, there's an important concept called stochastic equations. Knowledge of differential equations is very important there...

micromass said:
Missing algebra isn't a big deal, but missing differential equations is. In probability, there's an important concept called stochastic equations. Knowledge of differential equations is very important there...

Good catch.. I forgot about that. For Stochastic Differential Equations, certainly a DE class is important.

Ah, I see. My Stochastic processes class hasn't used Diff Eq's yet, but I'll make sure to take a course or two in it. Thanks for the help.

1. What are the typical admission requirements for applied math graduate programs?

The specific admission requirements for applied math graduate programs vary between universities, but most programs will require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, strong letters of recommendation, a high GPA, and competitive GRE scores. Some programs may also require applicants to have completed certain prerequisite courses.

2. Are there any specific skills or experiences that are highly valued by applied math graduate programs?

In addition to strong academic performance, many applied math graduate programs value applicants who have research experience in mathematics or related fields, as well as experience using mathematical software and other tools. Applicants with strong communication and critical thinking skills are also highly sought after.

3. Do applied math graduate programs have any specific prerequisites?

This will vary between programs, but most applied math graduate programs will require applicants to have completed courses in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some programs may also have specific prerequisites in computer science or other related disciplines.

4. What are the career opportunities for graduates of applied math graduate programs?

Graduates of applied math graduate programs have a wide range of career opportunities, including roles in data analysis, finance, engineering, and research. They may also have opportunities in industries such as healthcare, energy, and technology, where mathematical skills are in high demand.

5. How can I make my application stand out for applied math graduate programs?

A strong academic record and relevant experience are important for any graduate program application, but for applied math programs, it can also be beneficial to showcase your problem-solving skills and your ability to think critically and creatively. You can do this through your personal statement, letters of recommendation, and any research or projects you have completed in the field of mathematics.