Research careers in mathematics (without teaching)

In summary: Actually, I would say that NSA is a remarkable place, because it is about the only non-academic institution in the world where you can pretty much do any math you want. They use just about every field of math at NSA.In summary, there are few research careers in mathematics that don't involve teaching. However, these jobs usually involve applied math or engineering work.
alexmahone
Are there any research careers in mathematics that don't involve teaching?

Physics news on Phys.org
There exist companies which have research teams which might include mathematicians- but my understanding is that their job is largely using numerical methods to help the others on the team solve problems. Some universities have mathematics research positions but those are very few and typically filled by people who, while teaching, published impressive research.

I would love to do maths all my life but I don't want to teach. What kind of job should I get?

Alexmahone said:
I would love to do maths all my life but I don't want to teach. What kind of job should I get?

NSA, DARPA, and other government organizations hire mathematicians.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

dwsmith said:

You may want to note that the NSA is mainly crypto, ie algebra and number theory.

DARPA and the others are going to be applied math/engineering type positions.

In France, there's the Poincaré's institute, but you've got to be really good :D I think it's the same for Princeton's IAS

In my opinion there is no career in mathematics beside a teacher though maths is a very important subject because from past few years science is ruling.

anky2930 said:
In my opinion there is no career in mathematics beside a teacher though maths is a very important subject because from past few years science is ruling.

And your opinion is wrong, as can be proven by a single counter example (and there are many)

CB

Last edited:
anky2930 said:
(Surprised)

Moo said:
In France, there's the Poincaré's institute, but you've got to be really good :D I think it's the same for Princeton's IAS

I have heard tale of permanent jobs (in arbitrary universities) in France without teaching. However, they do not pay very well...

dwsmith said:

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

You may want to note that the NSA is mainly crypto, ie algebra and number theory.

DARPA and the others are going to be applied math/engineering type positions.

Actually, I would say that NSA is a remarkable place, because it is about the only non-academic institution in the world where you can pretty much do any math you want. They use just about every field of math at NSA.

1. What types of research careers are available in mathematics?

There are several types of research careers in mathematics that do not involve teaching. Some examples include becoming a research mathematician, working in applied mathematics or statistics, and pursuing a career in mathematical modeling and analysis.

2. What qualifications are needed for a research career in mathematics?

Typically, a research career in mathematics requires a strong background in mathematics, including a bachelor's, master's, or doctoral degree in mathematics or a related field. Extensive knowledge and experience in a specific area of math is also important.

3. Are there opportunities for collaboration and teamwork in research careers in mathematics?

Yes, collaboration and teamwork are important aspects of research careers in mathematics. Many mathematicians work in teams to solve complex problems and develop new theories and models. Additionally, there are often opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration with other fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. What is the typical work environment for a research mathematician?

Research mathematicians often work in universities, research institutions, or government agencies. They may also work in private industry, such as in consulting or for technology companies. Most research mathematicians have a mix of individual and collaborative work, and may also spend time presenting their findings at conferences or publishing papers.

5. What is the job outlook for research careers in mathematics?

The job outlook for research careers in mathematics is positive, with steady growth expected in areas such as data science, computer science, and applied mathematics. However, competition for positions may be intense, and additional skills and experience in programming, data analysis, and other related areas may be beneficial for job seekers.