Research in Photonic Crystals worth it?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing a PhD in Photonic Crystals and their concerns about the future opportunities in this field. They mention a quote about the unpredictability of the future and consider the advice of a senior researcher to switch to studying materials. The speaker also mentions the issue of decreasing funding for research in photonic crystals and the potential drawbacks of choosing a field based on funding. The conversation ends with a reminder that all fields go through phases of popularity and that photonic crystals, as a mature field, are likely not in a worse situation than others.
shpongle
Hi

I am doing my Masters by research in Photonic Crystals and I want to do a PhD later as I dream of an academic. I wanted to know to if the field of photonic crystals offers opportunities for growth in the future. Will this field be actively researched in the future?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
As Bohr said, "It is difficult to predict, especially the future."

The thing is, if you're doing a master's degree in the subject, you're likely in a better position to answer that than those outside of the field.

Vanadium 50 said:
As Bohr said, "It is difficult to predict, especially the future."

Thank you. That is a thought provoking quote.

Choppy said:
The thing is, if you're doing a master's degree in the subject, you're likely in a better position to answer that than those outside of the field.

Thank you for the reply. I was in a dilemma after one of the senior researchers advised me to abandon PhCs in lieu of materials, graphene, etc

shpongle said:
Thank you for the reply. I was in a dilemma after one of the senior researchers advised me to abandon PhCs in lieu of materials, graphene, etc

So then the question is what were his reasons for advising you in such a manner? Was he warning you against studying photonic crystals, or does he forsee something more lucrative in the materials research?

It's generally a good idea to talk with the senior researchers in your group and in most cases you can give some weight to their opinions. But it's always a good idea to understand the "why" behind the advice, rather than just accepting the advice because of this person's position. (Perhaps that's the reason you posted the question here in the first place.)

Choppy said:
So then the question is what were his reasons for advising you in such a manner? Was he warning you against studying photonic crystals, or does he forsee something more lucrative in the materials research?

It's generally a good idea to talk with the senior researchers in your group and in most cases you can give some weight to their opinions. But it's always a good idea to understand the "why" behind the advice, rather than just accepting the advice because of this person's position. (Perhaps that's the reason you posted the question here in the first place.)

Thank you. The reason she asked me to do so was that the funding for research in photonic crystals has been decreasing steadily. She asked me to go where the funding is! She also mentioned that until few years ago there was a lot of research into PhCs but it not the case now.

shpongle said:
Thank you. The reason she asked me to do so was that the funding for research in photonic crystals has been decreasing steadily. She asked me to go where the funding is! She also mentioned that until few years ago there was a lot of research into PhCs but it not the case now.

But that happens to ALL subjects. Photonic crystals were "hot" a few years ago and hence received what could perhaps be described as an disproportionate amount of funding. After a few years all the low hanging fruits (i.e. the "easy" experiments etc) are gone and the people in the field themselves in the same situation as all other researchers in more mature fields.

The current "hot topic" is graphene but research in that are is also slowing down (or at least maturing) and focus is perhaps shifting towards other 2D materials. In two years something else will be "hot" and so on.

Hence, choosing a field because of the amount of funding might be a good idea in the short term, but might backfire if you end up with a PhD in a subject that people have lost interest in by the time you finish (which happens). Or, alternatively, you end up with a PhD in subject where there will effectivly be a surplus of people (as is likely to happen with graphene in 2-3 years)

Photonic crystals have been around for a quite a long time, and although the funding might be decreasing I doubt they are in a worse situation than any other mature field.

1. Is research in photonic crystals worth the time and resources?

Yes, research in photonic crystals is definitely worth it. These structures have the potential to revolutionize many fields such as telecommunications, energy harvesting, and medical imaging. The development of photonic crystals has already led to significant advancements in these areas, and there is still much potential for further discoveries and applications.

2. What makes photonic crystals unique compared to other optical materials?

Photonic crystals have a periodic structure that allows for the control and manipulation of light at the nanoscale. This gives them unique optical properties such as photonic band gaps, which can be tailored to specific wavelengths. Additionally, photonic crystals can be engineered to have different refractive indices in different directions, allowing for the creation of devices with advanced functionalities.

3. What are the current challenges in researching photonic crystals?

One of the main challenges in researching photonic crystals is the fabrication of these structures with high precision and reproducibility. This requires advanced nanofabrication techniques and can be time-consuming and expensive. Additionally, there is still much to be understood about the behavior of light in photonic crystals, and further research is needed to fully unlock their potential.

4. How are photonic crystals being used in real-world applications?

Photonic crystals are already being used in a variety of applications, including telecommunications, solar cells, and biosensors. For example, photonic crystals are being used to create more efficient and compact optical communication devices, as well as to enhance the absorption of light in solar cells. In the medical field, photonic crystals are being used to develop advanced imaging techniques for early detection of diseases.

5. What is the future outlook for research in photonic crystals?

The future of research in photonic crystals is very promising. As our understanding of these structures deepens and fabrication techniques continue to improve, we can expect to see even more innovative and practical applications. With the increasing demand for faster and more efficient communication technologies, as well as the need for sustainable energy sources, the potential for photonic crystals to make a significant impact is immense.