PhD in Liquid Crystal Physics (or Engineering)

In summary, the Society for Information Display (SID) has been active in researching Liquid Crystal Physics/Engineering, with a Canadian chapter that may provide leads to universities and labs conducting research in this field.
shpongle
Dear Forum member,

I want to pursue research in Liquid Crystal Physics / Engineering, are you aware of any laboratories or university departments actively researching in this field in Canada or Germany? I will be very if you are aware of active groups and share their names.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
shpongle said:
Dear Forum member,

I want to pursue research in Liquid Crystal Physics / Engineering, are you aware of any laboratories or university departments actively researching in this field in Canada or Germany? I will be very if you are aware of active groups and share their names.

Thanks
Since nobody else has responded yet, I'll throw out a suggestion...

The Society for Information Display (SID) has been very active over the years with Liquid Crystal research and applications (as well as many other display technologies). I was a member for several years, and really enjoyed going to their seminars and conferences. It looks like there is a Canadian chapter:

https://www.sid.org/chapters/americas/canada.aspx

Check them out and look for publications, etc., to see what schools some of their members are associated with. That may be a good way to get started in your searching...

So for unrelated reasons, @sphongle has requested that his account be deleted. So I'll go ahead and close this thread here.

1. What is a PhD in Liquid Crystal Physics/Engineering?

A PhD in Liquid Crystal Physics/Engineering is a doctoral degree that focuses on the study and application of liquid crystals in various fields, such as materials science, physics, and engineering. It involves conducting original research and advancing the understanding of the properties and behaviors of liquid crystals.

2. What are liquid crystals?

Liquid crystals are a state of matter that exhibit properties of both liquids and solids. They have a fluid-like structure but also possess a long-range order and the ability to respond to external stimuli, such as temperature and electric fields. They have numerous applications in technology, including in displays, sensors, and optical devices.

3. What are the career opportunities for someone with a PhD in Liquid Crystal Physics/Engineering?

Graduates with a PhD in Liquid Crystal Physics/Engineering can pursue careers in various industries, such as electronics, materials science, and pharmaceuticals. They can also work in research and development roles in government agencies, national laboratories, and academic institutions.

4. What skills are important for a PhD in Liquid Crystal Physics/Engineering?

Strong analytical and problem-solving skills are essential for a PhD in Liquid Crystal Physics/Engineering. Additionally, proficiency in mathematics, physics, and computer programming is crucial for conducting research and analyzing data. Good communication skills and the ability to work independently and collaboratively are also important.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in Liquid Crystal Physics/Engineering?

The length of a PhD program in Liquid Crystal Physics/Engineering varies depending on the individual's research progress and the requirements of the program. On average, it takes around 4-5 years to complete a PhD, including coursework, research, and dissertation writing. However, some programs may offer accelerated options or require additional time for completion.