Should I write a research paper on time travel or pick another modern physics topic?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
102 replies · 17K views
sweetvirgogirl
Messages
116
Reaction score
0
do you think it's a good idea to write a 10 page research paper on time travel?

if not on time travel, could you possibly suggest something in modern physics that i can easily write a research paper on?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Time travel is to modern physics as the Loch Ness monster is to zoology.

What are you interested in? There's a plethora of topics, ranging from the basics of band-gap theory and semiconductors to field theory and frontiers in quantum gravity. What class is this for, and maybe that'll give us a better idea of what you're looking for.
 
abszero said:
Time travel is to modern physics as the Loch Ness monster is to zoology.

What are you interested in? There's a plethora of topics, ranging from the basics of band-gap theory and semiconductors to field theory and frontiers in quantum gravity. What class is this for, and maybe that'll give us a better idea of what you're looking for.
is there any way we can talk one on one? like on aim or yahoo or something?
 
I need help writing papers for modern physics

No, I'm not going to tell you to write them for me or anything

I just need someone to discuss a couple of things with me before I even start doing research, because I want to make sure I'm going in right direction.

So if you're good at phys as well as writing papers, can you please I am me or something?
 
What class is this for?

The only real world theories for time travel are VERY abstract and complicated...
 
Pengwuino said:
What class is this for?

The only real world theories for time travel are VERY abstract and complicated...

Well ... can i possibly have a chat with you on yahoo/aim/msn?
 
while actual 4-th dimensional travel is abstract, there are some real world phenomena that would be akin to time-travel.
like the twins paradox.
or the [itex]e^+[/itex] being equivalent to an [itex]e^-[/itex] going backwards through time.
 
emptymaximum said:
well well well.
look who i found
:eek:
...
 
can someone please I am me?

I'm really lost! I need to discuss a couple of things!
 
Hi, I can help you write your paper, but I don't have yahoo messenger. Why not post your topic here, and I can suggest a few things. Also, if you can post the details of the specifics of the paper, that would be good too.

- harsh
 
harsh said:
Hi, I can help you write your paper, but I don't have yahoo messenger. Why not post your topic here, and I can suggest a few things. Also, if you can post the details of the specifics of the paper, that would be good too.
- harsh
do you have aim? ... or even msn?

there is a reason I can't post specifics of the paper here
 
Academic manuscripts in pretty much all scientific fields follow the same general layout. Read a lot of papers from the journal that you are going to submit to and you will get the idea about the organization. Abstract, Intro, Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusion, References is pretty standard.

Some key points: the abstract is the most important part. Intro sets up the motivation talk about the state-of-the-art and the work of others. Methods includes theory and experimental set-up, particularly important is a discussion of your planned analysis and statistical methods. Results are just the observations from your experiments, the most difficult point here is to avoid any and all discussion, i.e. tell what you observed, but never any implications. Discussion is where you talk about the implications of your observations and put it in the context of the current state-of-the-art. Conclusion is a short paragraph on the take-home message.

Always exactly follow the "style guide" for the journal to which you are submitting. Reviewers can get irritated if you don't and irritating a reviewer never helped a manuscript get published. Also, always get as many co-workers and advisors as possible to look over a manuscript before submission.

-Dale
 
I'm writing a paper on time travel ... and I'm kinda stuck! Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Edit: Removed the obnoxious font size.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, was that ever the wrong way to ask! What, exactly, are you stuck on??
 
Maxwell said:
Wow, was that ever the wrong way to ask! What, exactly, are you stuck on??

I'm sorry ... I didnt mean to be rude or anything.

The problem is I can't seem to focus. I'm writing my paper on time travel, but I need a thesis ... a focus. Right now, I have no ideqa what I'm writing about.

Can I get your sn on aim?
 
Perhaps you could address the following conundrum:

A time traveller goes from point (x1, t1) to (x2, t2). Does she pass through all times between t1 and t2? What do observers between the two points see?
 
Tide said:
Perhaps you could address the following conundrum:
A time traveller goes from point (x1, t1) to (x2, t2). Does she pass through all times between t1 and t2? What do observers between the two points see?

i have to write 12 pages! lol
 
I think you'd have to think about the arrow of time in terms of the universe, the second law of thermodynamics and our local time. I know I'm being a bit vague, but there is stuff on this.
 
Vixus said:
I think you'd have to think about the arrow of time in terms of the universe, the second law of thermodynamics and our local time. I know I'm being a bit vague, but there is stuff on this.
yeah i need more specific help than that lol
 
You need to ask more specific questions.

- Warren
 
chroot said:
You need to ask more specific questions.

- Warren
you're right

I need to write a 12 page research paper on time travel ...

i need help developing thesis statement/question ... or just an argument in general

my prof suggested to include movies ... I'm not sure if that's a good idea
 
Since this question was asked in two different places, and already received some responses in both places, I've merged the two threads. In the future, only ask your question in one place.

If you want help, you need to explain more about your assignment and explain your efforts so far. Do not expect people to contact you via IM on this. People come to this forum for help on this forum. If you can't explain your question here, then we'll be happy to close the thread for you since it can't go anywhere without more input on your end.
 
And please include what level you want help at. You're obviously in college (you mentioned "professor"), so what type of class is this for? Is this for a modern physics class?
 
Maxwell said:
And please include what level you want help at. You're obviously in college (you mentioned "professor"), so what type of class is this for? Is this for a modern physics class?
it's for a humanities class
 
You really do need to post specifics about this paper or else no one is going to help you.