1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Residue Theorem with real zero

1. Jul 11, 2016 #1

DCN

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(\pi x)}{1-4x^2} dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

The residue theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

The residue of this function at $$x=\pm\frac{1}{2}$$ is zero. Therefore shouldn't the integral be zero, if you take a closed path as a hemisphere in the upper half of the complex plane? Yet the integral evaluates to $$\pi/4$$

I am completely lost.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You cannot complete the integral along a semicircle in the upper half-plane because the function ##\cos(\pi x)## grows exponentially large when you let the imaginary part of ##x## go to infinity. However, you can instead write the integral as
    [tex] I = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\cos(\pi x)}{1-4x^2} \, dx = \frac{1}{2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^{i \pi x}}{1-4x^2} \, dx [/tex]
    because the imaginary part of the second integrand is an odd function, which integrates to zero.

That last form can be completed in the upper half-plane, and when you do that the residues do not vanish.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted