1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance between two junctions in a 2D mesh

1. Apr 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

There is an infinite 2D mesh of conducting wire. Resistance between any two consecutive junctions is R. What is the equivalent resistance between any two consecutive junctions?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Every junction is connected to four points and one of it is connected to the required point. For example, if I start from 0,0 then I have to find the resistance between 0,0 and 1,1. Two wires can go to 1,1 by first moving up and then right or moving right and then up, each step having resistance R. But there are infinite ways to reach 1,1. So wouldn't the resistance be infinite?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The more paths that are available, the lower the equivalent resistance.

The description you give is not clear (to me).

Can you show some image? Also post the complete question as it was given to you.

4. Apr 25, 2015 #3
    I got to know that you have to use principle of superposition of current distribution to solve the problem. If I earth the boundry of mesh(at infinity) and apply a positive potential E at A, then I/4 current flows from A to all four neighbouring points and keeps dividing as it moves from A to infinity. So i/4 flows from A to B and potential at B is V.
    If I connect a negitive E at B, currenys from infinity flows towards B and finally i/4 flows from A to B. Let potrntial at A be V.
    So total current through AB is i/2.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted