1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance/Circuit Help Badly Needed!

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    !Resistance/Circuit Help Badly Needed!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am doing a circuit lab with the voltage and resistors shown. I have already measured the currents across each resistor, but now I need to use some of the theory that we have learned in class. Here is an image of the original circuit.

As you can see I have reduced it to a single equivalent circuit.

Now I am working backwards to try and find the currents shown. Now keep in mind that the index for the current i may not be the same index as its respective resistor... that is, [itex]i_1[/itex] does not necessarily coincide with [itex]R_1[/itex]. I realize that that is annoying, but I did not type up the lab!

Now can someone help me to just find [itex]i_4[/itex] for now. I know that the current across [itex]R_{eq}[/itex] is 307.3 mA.

I also know that (working backwards) that [itex]R_{eq}[/itex] was made up from [itex]R_{6}+R_{12345}[/itex] which were in series with each other.

So shouldn't the current across [itex]R_{12345}[/itex] be the same as the i_total ? Thus making i_4=i_total=307.3 mA

Now I am pretty sure that I am not correct in saying this (because my measure currents dictate so) but I am not sure why?

Also, it says to find the currents sing the "Ladder Method"......I am assuming the above is just that.

I also have to find the currents using the "Scale Factor Method"..... can someone clue me into how to do that one? I know it has to do with making an assumption and then calculating the currents based on it and this in turn leads to a scale factor.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2
    Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?
  4. Apr 30, 2008 #3
    The way i have always done it is through Kirchoffs law.. using I1=I2+I3 then replacing the terms with ohms law V=IR and in the end getting a load nice simultanius equations, one for each loop of the circuit, in your case three.

I you dont know this method, Ill explain more if needed?

The last diagram, why have you taken out the resistor?
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  5. Apr 30, 2008 #4
    I am not supposed to use Kirchoff's Law.
    Not sure what you mean. There is clearly a resistor in the last diagram. R_eq.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?