Resistance, Current, two cylinders

In summary, the oceanographer is studying how the ion concentration in seawater depends on depth. She makes a measurement by lowering into the water a pair of concentric metallic cylinders at the end of a cable and taking data to determine the resistance between these electrodes as a function of depth. The water between the two cylinders forms a cylindrical shell of inner radius r_a, outer radius r_b, and length L much larger than r_b,. The scientist applies a potential difference ΔV between the inner and outer surfaces, producing an outward radial current I. Let ρ represent the resistivity of the water. The potential difference is maintained across concentric metallic cylinders. I learn that current density equation is only valid if
JosephK

Homework Statement

An oceanographer is studying how the ion concentration in seawater depends on depth. She makes a measurement by lowering into the water a pair of concentric metallic cylinders at the end of a cable and taking data to determine the resistance between these electrodes as a function of depth. The water between the two cylinders forms a cylindrical shell of inner radius [itex]r_a[/itex], outer radius [itex]r_b[/itex], and length L much larger than [itex]r_b[/itex],. The scientist applies a potential difference ΔV between the inner and outer surfaces, producing an outward radial current I. Let ρ represent the resistivity of the water.

Homework Equations

ΔV = El
R = ρ l / a

The Attempt at a Solution

The potential difference is maintained across concentric metallic cylinders. We know for a wire of length l with a potential difference maintained across is ΔV = El. In this case, an outward radial current I is produced. In other words, current flows inbetween the cylinders. Thus, charges flow from [itex]r_a[/itex] to [itex]r_b[/itex]. Hence, length l is [itex]r_a[/itex] - [itex]r_b[/itex]. Finally, ΔV = E([itex]r_a[/itex] - [itex]r_b[/itex]).

In the equation R = ρ l / A, A is cross-sectional area of the conductor (saltwater is good conductor) which is pi(b^2-a^2).

So, I learn that current density equation is only valid if the cross sectional area A is perpendicular to the current density. So, an area perpendicular to the current are cylinders.

So A = 2 pi r L, for some radius r.
Then, I need integrate from [itex]r_a[/itex] to [itex]r_b[/itex] with respect to r.

So, I write

dA = 2pi r L dr ?

The reasoning for length is still valid.

So, ∫dR = ∫[itex]^{r_b}_{r_a}[/itex]ρ ( ([itex]r_a[/itex] - [itex]r_b[/itex]) / (2pi r L dr)

R = [itex]\frac{ρ(r_a - r_b) }{2\pi L }[/itex]∫[itex]^{r_b}_{r_a}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{ r dr}[/itex]

R = [itex]\frac{ρ(r_a - r_b) }{2\pi L }[/itex] ln[itex]\frac{r_a}{ r_b}[/itex].

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning looks good up until you write the integral. Why do you include the (ra - rb) term in the integral? Does it have some physical significance to the differential resistance element?

I have trouble with integrals.

The integral is a sum of differential elements. In this case you're trying to compute a total resistance, so you should expect to be adding differential elements of resistance, or dR.

The resistivity formula you have for a slab of material is R = ρl/A, where l is the 'thickness' of the slab and A the cross sectional area perpendicular to l. You've identified A as being 2πrL for a given radius r. The thickness of a differential element is dr, and so that is identified with l. You should, then, be able to directly 'transcribe' the resistivity formula into a formula for dR.

gneill said:
The integral is a sum of differential elements. In this case you're trying to compute a total resistance, so you should expect to be adding differential elements of resistance, or dR.

The resistivity formula you have for a slab of material is R = ρl/A, where l is the 'thickness' of the slab and A the cross sectional area perpendicular to l. You've identified A as being 2πrL for a given radius r. The thickness of a differential element is dr, and so that is identified with l. You should, then, be able to directly 'transcribe' the resistivity formula into a formula for dR.

I wrote formula for dR without recognizing dr.

(b)

[itex]\rho = \frac{1}{\sigma} [/itex]

[itex]\rho = \frac{E}{J}[/itex]

[itex]\rho = \frac{AE}{I} [/itex] where A = 2 [itex]\pi[/itex] rdr

[itex]\rho = \frac{A \Delta V L}{I} [/itex] where L = r

Does [itex]\rho[/itex] depend on geometry?
Why do I need to integrate?

ρ=AΔVL / I where L = r

should be

ρ=AΔV/rI

then from part a, replacing A and r,

ρ=(2pi L)ΔV/(ln(r_b / r_a) I

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is a measure of how difficult it is for electric current to flow through a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is dependent on the material's properties, such as its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature.

2. How is resistance related to current?

Resistance and current are inversely proportional. This means that as resistance increases, current decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Ohm's law: V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

3. What is the difference between a conductor and an insulator?

Conductors are materials that allow electric current to flow through them easily, while insulators are materials that impede the flow of electric current. Metals, such as copper and silver, are good conductors, while rubber and plastic are good insulators.

4. How does the cross-sectional area of a cylinder affect resistance?

The larger the cross-sectional area of a cylinder, the lower its resistance. This is because a larger area allows for more room for the electric current to flow through, resulting in a lower resistance. The length of the cylinder also plays a role, as longer cylinders tend to have higher resistance.

5. Can the resistance of a cylinder change?

Yes, the resistance of a cylinder can change depending on its properties, such as temperature and material. For example, as the temperature of a conductor increases, its resistance also increases. Additionally, if a cylinder's material is changed from a conductor to an insulator, its resistance will also change.