1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance, Current, two cylinders

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An oceanographer is studying how the ion concentration in seawater depends on depth. She makes a measurement by lowering into the water a pair of concentric metallic cylinders at the end of a cable and taking data to determine the resistance between these electrodes as a function of depth. The water between the two cylinders forms a cylindrical shell of inner radius [itex]r_a[/itex], outer radius [itex]r_b[/itex], and length L much larger than [itex]r_b[/itex],. The scientist applies a potential difference ΔV between the inner and outer surfaces, producing an outward radial current I. Let ρ represent the resistivity of the water.

2. Relevant equations

ΔV = El
    R = ρ l / a

3. The attempt at a solution

The potential difference is maintained across concentric metallic cylinders. We know for a wire of length l with a potential difference maintained across is ΔV = El. In this case, an outward radial current I is produced. In other words, current flows inbetween the cylinders. Thus, charges flow from [itex]r_a[/itex] to [itex]r_b[/itex]. Hence, length l is [itex]r_a[/itex] - [itex]r_b[/itex]. Finally, ΔV = E([itex]r_a[/itex] - [itex]r_b[/itex]).

In the equation R = ρ l / A, A is cross-sectional area of the conductor (saltwater is good conductor) which is pi(b^2-a^2).

So, I learn that current density equation is only valid if the cross sectional area A is perpendicular to the current density. So, an area perpendicular to the current are cylinders.

So A = 2 pi r L, for some radius r.
    Then, I need integrate from [itex]r_a[/itex] to [itex]r_b[/itex] with respect to r.

So, I write

dA = 2pi r L dr ?

The reasoning for length is still valid.

So, ∫dR = ∫[itex]^{r_b}_{r_a}[/itex]ρ ( ([itex]r_a[/itex] - [itex]r_b[/itex]) / (2pi r L dr)

R = [itex]\frac{ρ(r_a - r_b) }{2\pi L }[/itex]∫[itex]^{r_b}_{r_a}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{ r dr}[/itex]

R = [itex]\frac{ρ(r_a - r_b) }{2\pi L }[/itex] ln[itex]\frac{r_a}{ r_b}[/itex].

Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your reasoning looks good up until you write the integral. Why do you include the (ra - rb) term in the integral? Does it have some physical significance to the differential resistance element?

4. Oct 7, 2011 #3
    I have trouble with integrals.

5. Oct 7, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The integral is a sum of differential elements. In this case you're trying to compute a total resistance, so you should expect to be adding differential elements of resistance, or dR.

The resistivity formula you have for a slab of material is R = ρl/A, where l is the 'thickness' of the slab and A the cross sectional area perpendicular to l. You've identified A as being 2πrL for a given radius r. The thickness of a differential element is dr, and so that is identified with l. You should, then, be able to directly 'transcribe' the resistivity formula into a formula for dR.

6. Oct 7, 2011 #5

I wrote formula for dR without recognizing dr.

7. Oct 7, 2011 #6
    (b)

[itex]\rho = \frac{1}{\sigma} [/itex]

[itex]\rho = \frac{E}{J}[/itex]

[itex]\rho = \frac{AE}{I} [/itex] where A = 2 [itex]\pi[/itex] rdr

[itex]\rho = \frac{A \Delta V L}{I} [/itex] where L = r

Does [itex]\rho[/itex] depend on geometry?
    Why do I need to integrate?

8. Oct 8, 2011 #7
    ρ=AΔVL / I where L = r

should be

ρ=AΔV/rI

then from part a, replacing A and r,

ρ=(2pi L)ΔV/(ln(r_b / r_a) I

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook