Resistance & Force In Inclined Planes

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help to complete a physics packet on inclined planes. They are unsure of how to find the resistance and force given the length, height, and mechanical advantage (M.A.) of the incline. The suggested method is to draw a free body diagram and use the equation ##\sum F=ma## with the coordinate axis aligned to the surface of the plane. The expert also provides a tip on capitalization.
charityrae
Homework Statement

Okay, So I Have A Physics Packet That My Teacher Handed Out On Inclined Planes. I Was Not There So I Do Not Know How To Complete The Table. I Have To Complete A Chart. The Chart Gives Me The Length Of The Incline, The Height, & The M.A. . I Know How To Calculate The M.A. But I Don't Know how To Find The Resistance & The Force. I Want To Know How You Can Calculate The Resistance & The Force By Knowing The Length & Height Of The Incline, & The M.A.

My Attempt To Solve It :
Length - 10 m
Height - 5 m
M.A. - 2
# of Times The Force Is Multiplied - 2
Resistance - 100 N
Force - 50 N

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
What does "M.A." stand for in this case?

To solve inclined planes problems, you draw a free body diagram and sum the forces.
The trick is to align the coordinate axis to the surface of the plane and not the horizontal.
Use ##\sum F=ma## in x and y directions.

Just a pointer: when you type an English sentence, you only need to use a capital letter for the first character and for proper nouns. Caps on all words like you did makes it hard to read. Cheers.

What is resistance on an inclined plane and how does it affect force?

Resistance on an inclined plane is the opposing force that acts against the force applied to an object. It is proportional to the weight of the object and the angle of inclination of the plane. The greater the resistance, the more force is required to move the object up the incline.

How does the angle of inclination affect the force needed to move an object on an inclined plane?

The angle of inclination of an inclined plane directly affects the amount of force needed to move an object. The steeper the angle, the greater the resistance and therefore the more force is required to move the object up the incline. A shallower angle will require less force to move the object.

What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration on an inclined plane?

On an inclined plane, the force applied to an object is split into two components – one parallel to the surface of the plane and one perpendicular to it. The force parallel to the surface of the plane is responsible for the object's acceleration, while the perpendicular force is balanced by the normal force of the plane. The greater the force parallel to the plane, the greater the acceleration of the object.

How is the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane calculated?

The mechanical advantage of an inclined plane is calculated by dividing the length of the plane by its height. This ratio represents the amount of force required to move an object up the incline compared to the force required to lift the object straight up. A higher mechanical advantage means that less force is needed to move the object up the incline.

What are some real-life examples of inclined planes and their practical applications?

Inclined planes are used in many everyday objects and machines, such as ramps, stairs, escalators, and wheelchair ramps. They are also commonly used in construction and transportation, such as roads and highways, railroad tracks, and airport runways. Inclined planes are also essential in various industrial and agricultural processes, including conveyor belts, agricultural tillers, and loading docks. Their practical applications include reducing the effort needed to move heavy objects, increasing the distance over which an object can be moved, and changing the direction of the applied force.