1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance of a wire with changing radius

1. Jun 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The radius r of a wire of length L increases according to r = a * exp(bx^2), x is the distance from one end to the other end of the wire. What is the resistance of the wire?

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]R =\frac{L * \rho}{A}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [itex]dR =\frac{dx * \rho}{A}[/itex]

[itex]A(r) = \pi * r^2[/itex]

[itex]r(x) = a* e^{bx^2}[/itex]

[itex]A(x) =\pi a^2 * e^{2bx^2}[/itex]

[itex]R =\int^{L}_{0}\frac{\rho}{\pi a^2 * e^{2bx^2}}*dx[/itex]

Two questions
    First of all. Is this approach correct? And second, how does one integrate an errorfunction? (Of course one can use WolframAlpha but how does one get this solution?)
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2011 #2

L-x

Remember that A is a function of r when you try to work out dR

4. Jun 23, 2011 #3
    Of course, A is a function of r but r is also a function of x. Therefore the substitution yields what I have written above. Or am I wrong?

5. Jun 23, 2011 #4

L-x

[tex]R =\frac{x \rho}{A}=\frac{x \rho}{\pi r^2}=\frac{x \rho}{\pi a^2 e^{2bx^2}}[/tex]

Are you sure your expression for dR is correct?

6. Jun 23, 2011 #5
    Our professor just told us that r = a * exp(b*x) and i found the mistake... A is dependent on r and therefore I need to consider this in my calculations...

[itex]dR = \rho d(\frac{L}{A})[/itex]

[itex]d(\frac{L}{A}) = \frac{dL}{A} - \frac{L*dA}{A^2}[/itex]

[itex]dA = 2*\pi*r*dr[/itex] , [itex]dL = dx[/itex]

[itex]dr = a*b*e^{bx} dx[/itex]

[itex]dR =\rho \int^{L}_{0} (\frac{e^{-2bx}}{\pi*a} - \frac{2*x*b*e^{-2*b*x}}{\pi*a^2})dx[/itex]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook