Resistors in series and parallel

In summary, resistors in series are connected one after the other, while resistors in parallel are connected side by side. The total resistance is calculated differently for each configuration and affects the current and voltage differently. It is possible to mix resistors in series and parallel in a circuit, but the total resistance must be calculated for each combination. The overall power consumption in a circuit is affected by the configuration of resistors, with parallel configurations potentially consuming more power than series configurations.
logearav
1. Homework Statement [/b
I have been asked to find the equivalent resistance for the given attachment.

Homework Equations

first, i solved the parallel connection and the answer is 11K and now this 11K in series with 27K, so the answer is 38K
Am i right?

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Resist2A7.gif
    Resist2A7.gif
    1 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, That's correct !

1. What is the difference between resistors in series and parallel?

Resistors in series are connected one after the other in a single path, while resistors in parallel are connected side by side in multiple paths. In series, the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances, while in parallel, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors in series and parallel?

In series, the total resistance (RT) is equal to the sum of individual resistances (R1+R2+R3...). In parallel, the total resistance (RT) is calculated using the formula: 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3...

3. What happens to the current and voltage in resistors in series and parallel?

In series, the current stays the same throughout each resistor, but the voltage is divided among the resistors. In parallel, the voltage stays the same across each resistor, but the current is divided among the resistors.

4. Can I mix resistors in series and parallel in a circuit?

Yes, you can mix resistors in series and parallel in a circuit. In this case, you would need to calculate the total resistance for each combination of resistors and use that value in the overall circuit calculation.

5. How do resistors in series and parallel affect the overall power consumption in a circuit?

In series, the total power consumption is equal to the sum of individual power consumption (P=VI). In parallel, the total power consumption is equal to the sum of individual power consumption multiplied by the number of resistors (P=NV). This means that in parallel, the power consumption can be higher than in series.