1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resnick Halliday Krane Unit Vectors question

1. Aug 4, 2012 #1
    The start of a new school year in Ap physics C, and our favorite engineering professors causing students distress! Maybe the champions of the textbook can help me out... = )

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Two vectors are given by
    a = 4i hat - 3j hat + k hat
    b = -i hat +j hat + 4k hat.

Find
    a) a + b
    b) a-b
    C) vector c such that a -b +c = 0

2.Given two vectors
    a = 4i hat - 3j hat
    b = 6i hat + 8j hat

Find the magnitudes and directions (with the +x axis) of

a)a
    b)b
    c)a+b
    d)b-a
    e)a-b

2. Relevant equations
    components equations
    etc

3. The attempt at a solution

on question 1, ive gotten parts a and b, but running into difficulty proving a-b + c=0.
    i took a-b from part b and replaced it into the equation.

C)
    a - b = 3i hat + 2j hat

3i hat + 2j hat + c = 0

3i hat + 2j hat + (azk hat + bz k hat)

3i hat + 2j hat + (1 + 4)k hat

3i hat + 2j hat + 5k hat = 0

i solved for vector c as 5k hat, but i am not sure if this satisfies the solution, as k hat runs into the z direction.

on question 2,

e) a - b

a = 4i hat -3j hat
    b= 6i hat +8j hat

a-b=-2i hat - 11j hat

-2i hat = cx = -2
    -11j hat = cy = -11

[itex]\sqrt{125}[/itex] = 11.180

tan [itex]\Phi[/itex] = (-11/-2) = 79.650 degrees

vector c = 11.180 at 79.650 degrees with +x-axis.

this is the answer i had gotten, but the book answer decides to choose 260 degrees. i have looked at my positive and negative symbols for my angle measure, but cannot meet the same number.

Any help is much appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Redo that subtraction.

Hint: What quadrant should your answer be in?

4. Aug 4, 2012 #3
    For Question 1 C consider it to be a normal algebraic equation. If it were asking you for a number, z, such that if x = 3, y = 5, x - y + z = 0 What would you do? You seem to be thinking that the vector c has to be the z component of this new a-b vector, but it isn't! It is its own unique vector [itex] \vec{c} = c_{x}\hat{i} + c_{y}\hat{j} + c_{z}\hat{k} [/itex]

5. Aug 4, 2012 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Keep in mind that to add two vectors that are expressed in component form, you add them component-wise. In other words, the x-component of the resultant is the sum of the x-components of all the individual vectors, and likewise for y and z. Bearing that in mind, I think the best approach for part C is to use a vector c = (cx, cy, cz) whose components are unknown (note: boldface denotes vectors). This way you have three unknowns, but you also have three equations (which come from the component-wise summation) so you can solve for them all.

6. Aug 4, 2012 #5
    Great!! I got both of them. for question 1 it looks like i just got a bit lazy. question 2 i did indeed needed to refer to the quadrant. For my future reference, i should always check which quadrant i am going to end up in at the end.

oh yea another small question. What does "with + x axis" mean? does it mean with respect to the x axis?

Thanks alot!!

7. Aug 4, 2012 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes. (As opposed to the negative x axis.)

8. Aug 4, 2012 #7
    A handy rule to remember is: When taking an inverse tangent on a calculator, if the answer is in the 2nd or 3rd quadrant, add 180 degrees to the answer that the calculator gives you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook