Calculate 2C*(3AxB) for Vectors A, B, and C

• Thread starter jdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary: I was looking at the problem and trying to figure out how to do the math for the vector, and I was thinking that 2C*(3AxB) was the same as thevector. When I calculated it, it actually wasn't the same.
jdawg

Homework Statement

For the following three vectors, what is 2C*(3AxB)
A=3i+3j-4k
B=-3i+2j+3k
C=-6i-8j

**All of the capital letters are vectors**

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2A=2(3i+3j-4k)
=6i+6j-8k

2AxB=(6i+6j-8k)*(-3i+2j+3k)

(6i)(-3i)+(6i)(2j)+(6i)(2k)+(6i)(-3i)+(6j)(2j)+(6j)(3k)+(-8k)(-3i)+(-8k)(2j)+(-8k)(3k)

(12k)+(-12j)+(18k)+(18i)+24j)+(16i)

34i+12j+30k

I don't really know what to do next, honestly I don't really understand what I did to get that far. I found an example problem and just kind of plugged stuff in... If you could explain to me how to work this problem that would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused. You ask what is 2C*(3AxB) and then you calculate 2AxB.

jdawg said:

Homework Statement

For the following three vectors, what is 2C*(3AxB)
A=3i+3j-4k
B=-3i+2j+3k
C=-6i-8j

**All of the capital letters are vectors**

The Attempt at a Solution

2A=2(3i+3j-4k)
=6i+6j-8k
Question, as written, does not call for 2A.

2AxB=(6i+6j-8k)*(-3i+2j+3k)

(6i)(-3i)+(6i)(2j)+(6i)(2k)+(6i)(-3i)+(6j)(2j)+(6j)(3k)+(-8k)(-3i)+(-8k)(2j)+(-8k)(3k)

(12k)+(-12j)+(18k)+(18i)+24j)+(16i)

34i+12j+30k

I don't really know what to do next, honestly I don't really understand what I did to get that far. I found an example problem and just kind of plugged stuff in... If you could explain to me how to work this problem that would be great!

Hmmm ... OK: You need quick primer lessons:

AxB indicates a cross product:

What the example you used did was start by multiplying out the brackets as usual ... then used the rules for the cross product of the unit vectors. so, using "x" to indicate cross product:
then ixi=jxj=kxk=0
and ixj=k, jxk=i, kxi=j
and kxj=-i, jxi=-k, ixk=-j

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
I'm confused. You ask what is 2C*(3AxB) and then you calculate 2AxB.

Ohhh that might be part of my problem, I got this question mixed up with the example I was looking at.

First, let's clarify the notation used in the problem. A, B, and C are vectors represented by their components in the form of <x,y,z>. So, A = <3,3,-4>, B = <-3,2,3>, and C = <-6,-8,0>.

Now, let's rewrite the expression 2C*(3AxB) using vector operations:

2C*(3AxB) = 2C*(3A x B) = 2C * (3 * (A x B))

We know that the cross product of two vectors A and B is given by A x B = <AyBz - AzBy, AzBx - AxBz, AxBy - AyBx>. So, substituting the values of A and B, we get:

A x B = <(3)(3) - (-4)(2), (-4)(-3) - (3)(3), (3)(2) - (3)(-4)> = <17, -9, 18>

Now, substituting this value in the expression 2C * (3 * (A x B)), we get:

2C * (3 * (A x B)) = 2 * <-6,-8,0> * (3 * <17,-9,18>) = <-12,-16,0> * <51,-27,54> = <-612, 324, -864>

Therefore, the final result is -612i + 324j - 864k.

1. What is the formula for calculating 2C*(3AxB)?

The formula for calculating 2C*(3AxB) is: 2C*(3AxB) = 2(3)(AxB)(C) = 6(AxB)(C).

2. How do I calculate 2C*(3AxB) for vectors A, B, and C?

To calculate 2C*(3AxB) for vectors A, B, and C, you will need to use the formula: 2C*(3AxB) = 6(AxB)(C). First, calculate the cross product of vectors A and B by using the formula AxB = (AyBz - AzBy, AzBx - AxBz, AxBy - AyBx). Then, multiply the resulting vector by the scalar 6 and then by vector C to get the final result.

3. What is the significance of calculating 2C*(3AxB) for vectors A, B, and C?

Calculating 2C*(3AxB) for vectors A, B, and C is significant because it allows you to find the vector resulting from the cross product of vectors A and B, when multiplied by scalar 6 and then by vector C. This can be helpful in many applications of vector mathematics, such as in physics and engineering.

4. Can I use this formula for any type of vectors?

Yes, you can use this formula for any type of vectors as long as they are in three-dimensional space. This formula is specifically used for finding the cross product of vectors A and B, when multiplied by scalar 6 and then by vector C, regardless of the type of vectors.

5. Is there a shortcut method for calculating 2C*(3AxB)?

Yes, there is a shortcut method for calculating 2C*(3AxB). It involves using the distributive property to simplify the formula to 6(CxAxB). This can make the calculation easier and quicker, especially when dealing with larger and more complex vectors.