Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonace Frequency of Bodies/Materials

1. Jan 9, 2009 #1

Hi there,

I'm would like to know how to calculate mechanical resonance frequencies of material and form. ie. the materials i'm choosing first are glued wood, as they are much easier to cut/shape. The form would be shaped into an inverted funnel like or bell shaped of different sizes and hollow on the inside. The ideal thickness would be around 1 to 2 cm.

Firstly how do i go about calculating mechanical resonance frequency of wood and most importantly how does the size and shape of the form effects the mechanical resonance frequencies? How do I determine the factors involved?

Briefly- I would like to have a tuning fork, being place on the form to create harmonic resonance frequency, not only a louder sound, but also the right frequencies that will vibrate the body, hopfully to create harmonics.

naturally i can do a trail and error method, but as this work is rather strenuous, i would like some form of formula to determine what will happen before i start the partical work.

any form of help would be greatly appreicated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2

Science Advisor

4. Jan 11, 2009 #3
    Dennis I dont know what level you are at but you seem to have chosen very difficult shapes and material to investigate the difficulties being both theoretical and experimental.May I suggest that you go for something simpler.
  5. Jan 19, 2009 #4

hi there,

thanks for the link <atyy>. this is almost something i'm looking for.

yes <DadFace> you might be right, this will take some time and experimentation to build.

I will write with more about my findings and questions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?