Resonance energy per ring in benzene, napthalene, anthracene

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member
Messages
697
Reaction score
73

Homework Statement


Compare resonance energy per ring in benzene, napthalene and anthracene

Homework Equations


--

The Attempt at a Solution


I know Resonance energy of benzene is 36 KCal/mol, I also know anthracene is the most stable followed by napthalene so their resonance energy is in the order anthracene>napthalene>benzene but how do I compare it per ring?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can always try to divide molar resonance energy by the number of rings.
 
Borek said:
You can always try to divide molar resonance energy by the number of rings.
We aren't provided any data in the exam, we just need to find the increasing order of resonance energy per ring through logical guesswork. The logic for napthalene having lower resonance energy per ring is what I'm looking for