Resonance/Harmonic frequencies in open/closed pipes

In summary, the fundamental frequency of an open organ pipe corresponds to E above middle C and has a frequency of 329.6 Hz. The third resonance of a different closed organ pipe also has a frequency of 329.6 Hz. To find the length of the open pipe, we can use the equation f=nv/2L. With a frequency of 329.6 Hz and a speed of sound of 343 m/s, we can calculate the length to be 0.520m. However, for the closed pipe, we cannot use the third harmonic as it is mentioned in the question. Instead, we need to use the third resonance, which is equivalent to the fifth harmonic. Using the equation f=5v/
Doc Z

Homework Statement

The fundamental frequency of an open organ pipe corresponds to E above middle C (329.6 Hz on the chromatic musical scale). The third resonance of a different closed organ pipe has the same frequency. What are the lengths of the two pipes?

Homework Equations

natural frequency of an air column open at both ends - f=nv/2L

and

natural frequency of an air column closed at one end - f=nv/4L

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out the length of the open pipe by using the first equation. My answer is .520m.

Now, for the closed pipe, since the third resonance frequency of the closed pipe is the same, I used the second equation in the following way - f=3v/4L. However, this is wrong because I should not be using the third harmonic. The question references the 3rd resonance, not the third harmonic, but I have no idea where to go from here. I don't even know what equation to use. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow I sure feel smart...the third resonance=fifth harmonic! lol sorry guys.

I would like to clarify that the term "resonance frequency" can be used interchangeably with "natural frequency" in this context. Both refer to the frequency at which a system naturally vibrates or oscillates. In this case, the fundamental frequency of the open pipe and the third resonance frequency of the closed pipe both have a frequency of 329.6 Hz.

To find the length of the closed pipe, we can use the equation f=nv/4L, where n is the resonance number (in this case, n=3), v is the speed of sound, and L is the length of the pipe. Rearranging the equation, we get L=3v/4f. Plugging in the values for v (the speed of sound in air is approximately 343 m/s) and f (329.6 Hz), we get L=2.61 m.

Therefore, the lengths of the two pipes are 0.520 m and 2.61 m for the open and closed pipes, respectively.

1. What is resonance?

Resonance is a phenomenon in which an object or system vibrates at its natural frequency when exposed to an external force or energy. This causes a significant increase in amplitude or intensity of the vibrations, resulting in a louder or more pronounced sound.

2. How do resonant frequencies differ in open and closed pipes?

In open pipes, the resonant frequencies are determined by the length of the pipe and the speed of sound. In closed pipes, the resonant frequencies are determined by the length of the pipe and the speed of sound, as well as the end conditions of the pipe (open or closed). This results in a difference in the frequencies at which resonance occurs in these two types of pipes.

3. What is the relationship between pipe length and resonant frequencies?

The resonant frequencies of a pipe are inversely proportional to its length. This means that longer pipes will have lower resonant frequencies and shorter pipes will have higher resonant frequencies. This relationship holds true for both open and closed pipes.

4. How do harmonics affect resonance in pipes?

Harmonics, or multiples of the fundamental frequency, can also contribute to resonance in pipes. They can reinforce or cancel out the vibrations produced by the fundamental frequency, resulting in different patterns of resonance. In open pipes, the harmonics are integer multiples of the fundamental frequency, while in closed pipes, they are odd integer multiples.

5. Can the resonant frequencies of pipes be manipulated?

Yes, the resonant frequencies of pipes can be manipulated by altering the length or end conditions of the pipe. This can be done by physically changing the length of the pipe or by using devices such as valves or flutes to adjust the end conditions. Additionally, the material and shape of the pipe can also affect its resonant frequencies.