Resonance in Closed Air Coloumn

In summary, there seems to be a conflict between the textbook and the teacher regarding the third resonance in an air column. The textbook states that the third resonance is at 5/4 lambda, while the teacher claims it is at 1 lambda. However, upon further examination, it is revealed that the teacher's diagram actually displays the fourth resonance at 7/4 lambda. Therefore, both the textbook and the teacher are correct in their own ways.
SRForum
Hello,

My teacher and the textbook seem to be conflicting with each other, and I would like to know who's right. The image on the left was scanned streight out my my textbook, saying that the third resonance is 5/4 lamda. On the right, is an edited version of the textbook image,showing what my teacher had showed me to display the third resonance in an air coloum. He calims that it's 1 lamda. Who's right? or are they both right? Thanks in advance for any help!:tongue:
http://img428.imageshack.us/img428/9123/resonance8hc.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump?:rolleyes:

1/2 lambda or 1/2 wave length is the distance between two succesive nodes or anti-nodes(crests).

so your textbooks shows

1 full wave length + 1/4 of a wave length

so 1 + 1/4 = 5/4 wave length ( or 5/4 lambda)

so it is correct.

your teacher's diagram;

1 full wave length + 3/4 of a wave length = 7/5 wave lenghts (7/4 lambda)

which is actually the 4th resonance. NOT the third!

Attachments

• resonance8hc.png
    resonance8hc.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 406

1. What is resonance in a closed air column?

Resonance in a closed air column refers to the phenomenon where the air inside a tube or pipe vibrates at a specific frequency, resulting in a loud and clear sound. This occurs when the length of the air column is equal to a certain fraction of the wavelength of the sound waves produced.

2. How does the length of the air column affect resonance?

The length of the air column is directly related to the resonant frequency. As the length of the air column increases, the resonant frequency decreases, and vice versa. This is because the length of the air column determines the wavelength of the sound waves produced, and resonance occurs when the wavelength is equal to a certain fraction of the length.

3. What factors can affect resonance in a closed air column?

The main factors that can affect resonance in a closed air column are the length, diameter, and shape of the column, as well as the density and temperature of the air inside. These factors can alter the speed of sound waves, which in turn affects the resonant frequency.

4. How is resonance in a closed air column used in musical instruments?

Resonance in a closed air column is used in many musical instruments, such as flutes, clarinets, and organs. These instruments have a tube or pipe that the player blows air into, and the length of the air column can be changed by covering or uncovering certain holes. This allows the player to produce different notes and create music.

5. Can resonance in a closed air column be harmful?

Resonance in a closed air column is not harmful in and of itself. However, if the frequency of the resonant sound is close to the natural frequency of a structure, it can cause that structure to vibrate and potentially lead to damage. This is known as resonance catastrophe and can be seen in bridges and buildings when exposed to strong winds.