1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resonance problem involving Laplace transformations

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The sine wave [tex] sin(t) [/tex] will only drive the harmonic oscillator [tex] y'' + \omega ^2 y [/tex] into resonance when [tex] \omega = 1 [/tex]. For what values of [tex] \omega [/tex] will the half- and full-wave rectified sine waves drive the harmonic oscillator into resonance.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Starting with the half-wave rectified sine wave;

Taking the Laplace transform of both sides and rearranging for Y(s);

[tex] Y(s)= \frac{1+e^{-s\pi}}{(s^2+1)(1-e^{-s2\pi})(s^2+ \omega ^2)} + \frac{sy(0)+y'(0)}{s^2+\omega^2}[/tex]

From here I think I need to find the poles of Y(s) but I am unsure what to do with the [tex] (1-e^{-s2\pi}) [/tex] in the denominator of the first term. Similar problem when looking at the full-wave rectified sine curve.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2
    Ok, first of all, this is the math part of the forum, so if you want help solving an ODE, you'll have to actually tell us what it is -- we won't necessarily know what you mean simply by giving a physical description.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook