Resources: Notes/ videos to sketch better geometric figures.

In summary, the person has been searching for resources on sketching geometric figures and has had difficulty finding helpful materials. They mention that they struggle with visualizing problems due to their drawing skills and find it easier to explain concepts to others through drawings. They will be taking Calculus 3 soon and are concerned about their lack of intuition when simplifying objects geometrically. They also mention that this skill is helpful for physics problems and suggest searching for "mechanical drawing/drafting" as a resource.
MidgetDwarf
I been googling videos and notes regarding the sketching of geometric figures, such as: planes, solids, 3rd/ 2d geometric shapes. Could not find decent resources.

The reason i ask is that I am having a hard time picturing certain problems with my mediocre drawing skills and I also tutor so it is sometimes easier to draw a person a picture. Ie 3d image of cross-sectional volumes in calculus or
figures in sterometry.

I soon will be taking Calculus 3. It is not the math or the theory that is bothering me. It is lack of intuition i can generate from taking an object and simplifying it to its most general case geometrically.

Also helps with physics problems. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Google "mechanical drawing/drafting."

What are geometric figures?

Geometric figures are shapes that are made up of one or more straight lines. These shapes can be two-dimensional, such as squares and circles, or three-dimensional, such as cubes and spheres.

Why is it important to know how to sketch geometric figures?

Sketching geometric figures is important for a variety of reasons. It helps us to understand and visualize complex concepts, such as symmetry and proportion. It is also a useful skill for architects, engineers, and artists who need to accurately represent geometric shapes in their work.

What are some techniques for sketching geometric figures?

There are several techniques that can help you sketch geometric figures more accurately. One technique is to start by lightly sketching the basic shapes and then gradually adding details and shading. Another technique is to use construction lines to help you create more precise and symmetrical shapes.

What are some resources for learning how to sketch better geometric figures?

There are many resources available to help you improve your skills in sketching geometric figures. Some options include online tutorials and videos, instructional books, and classes or workshops. You can also practice by studying and sketching from real-life objects or images.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when sketching geometric figures?

One common mistake when sketching geometric figures is not paying attention to proportions and angles. It is important to double-check your measurements and make sure they are accurate. Another mistake is not using construction lines, which can lead to uneven or distorted shapes. It is also important to have patience and practice regularly to improve your skills.