Resultant acceleration Question

In summary: No. Use the units, you will see that it is wrong. What is the unit of the angular acceleration? What is the unit of the linear acceleration?
Steelers72

Homework Statement

An electric ceiling fan is rotating about a fixed axis with an initial angular velocity magnitude of 0.270rev/s . The magnitude of the angular acceleration is 0.902rev/s2 . Both the the angular velocity and angular accleration are directed clockwise. The electric ceiling fan blades form a circle of diameter 0.800m .

What is the magnitude a of the resultant acceleration of a point on the tip of the blade at time t= 0.191s ?

Homework Equations

[/B]
(v*v)/r

Pythagorean theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Tangential acceleration= angular acceleration*radius
=.902*.400
=.361

centripetal acceleration = (v*v)/r
I calculated v (tangential velocity) to be 1.11 ---which is correct based on answer key
= (1.11^2)/.400
=3.08

sqrt( (3.08^2)+(.361^2) )
=3.10

However, this apparently is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Steelers72 said:

Homework Statement

An electric ceiling fan is rotating about a fixed axis with an initial angular velocity magnitude of 0.270rev/s . The magnitude of the angular acceleration is 0.902rev/s2 . Both the the angular velocity and angular accleration are directed clockwise. The electric ceiling fan blades form a circle of diameter 0.800m .

What is the magnitude a of the resultant acceleration of a point on the tip of the blade at time t= 0.191s ?

Homework Equations

[/B]
(v*v)/r

Pythagorean theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Tangential acceleration= angular acceleration*radius
=.902*.400
=.361

I calculated v (tangential velocity) to be 1.11 ---which is correct based on answer key
= (1.11^2)/.400
=3.08

sqrt( (3.08^2)+(.361^2) )
=3.10

However, this apparently is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?
In calculating tangential velocity and acceleration, are you using correct units for the angular initial speed and acceleration ?

The method you are followed is correct but not in one point; the question should help:

What is the magnitude a of the resultant acceleration of a point on the tip of the blade at time t= 0.191s ?.

In an accelerate motion of a point upon a circle its tangential velocity changes continuosly; it is no more the value of the initial istant. So the correct formula to use is (v, v0 and a are tangential):

v-v0 = at

t=0.191 s
a = 0.361 m/s^2
v0=0.270 x 0.400 = 0.108 m/s

Likes Steelers72
Also, (contrary to the numerical work in Pierce610's post), don't forget to convert revolutions to radians.

Likes Pierce610 and Steelers72
sqrt( (.108^2)+(.361^2) )
=.38

Is this the correct set up for the final answer now?

Steelers72 said:
sqrt( (.108^2)+(.361^2) )
=.38

Is this the correct set up for the final answer now?

That's not the number I got. Please show your steps, including your units.

And again, don't forget to convert the revolutions to radians as an early step.

thanks sincerely to have correct me; I've forgotten to convert them.

collinsmark said:
Also, (contrary to the numerical work in Pierce610's post), don't forget to convert revolutions to radians.

Based on my original post, which step did I mess up

= (1.11^2)/.400
=3.08

Steelers72 said:

= (1.11^2)/.400
=3.08
Your tangential acceleration is wrong: revolutions have to be converted to radians.

Likes Steelers72
Steelers72 said:

= (1.11^2)/.400
=3.08
You had better listen to posts 2, 4 and 9 unless you meant radians instead of revolutions in your original post.

ehild said:
Your tangential acceleration is wrong: revolutions have to be converted to radians.

So I have to convert 1.11 revolutions to radians?
so would it be 1.11 rev*2piradians/rev ?

Steelers72 said:
Yes, assuming the 1.11 number was derived correctly (I'm not looking at the problem now).
In general, take a leaf from this book: all units must be compatible. In most cases for you this means the units of the rationalized mks system, aka SI (Sysème Internationale).

Steelers72 said:
No.
The tangential acceleration was wrong. The angular acceleration was given as 0.902 rev/s2. Convert it to radians/s2.

Likes Steelers72
ehild said:
No.
The tangential acceleration was wrong. The angular acceleration was given as 0.902 rev/s2. Convert it to radians/s2.
so .902revs/s^2 *2piradians/rev=1.80pi radians/s^2

(1.80^2)/.400
=8.1

sqrt( (8.1^2)+(.361^2) )
=8.11

Is this correct?

Steelers72 said:
so .902revs/s^2 *2piradians/rev=1.80pi radians/s^2

(1.80^2)/.400
=8.1

sqrt( (8.1^2)+(.361^2) )
=8.11

Is this correct?
It is wrong. How much is 0.902*2pi?
How do you get the linear acceleration from the angular acceleration?

ehild said:
It is wrong. How much is 0.902*2pi?
How do you get the linear acceleration from the angular acceleration?
5.67pi ...i don't understand why I keep getting a wrong answer from my calculator. Thanks. So 5.67

(5.67^2)/.400
=80.37

sqrt( (80.37^2)+(.361^2) )
=80.37

? this ok now?

Steelers72 said:
5.67pi ...i don't understand why I keep getting a wrong answer from my calculator. Thanks. So 5.67

(5.67^2)/.400
=80.37

sqrt( (80.37^2)+(.361^2) )
=80.37

? this ok now?

No. Use the units, you will see that it is wrong. What is the unit of the angular acceleration? What is the unit of the linear acceleration?
What are all those numbers you wrote?
What do you mean with (5.67^2)/.400? What do you think it is?

What is resultant acceleration?

Resultant acceleration is the overall acceleration experienced by an object, taking into account both its magnitude and direction. It is the net effect of all individual accelerations acting on the object.

How is resultant acceleration calculated?

Resultant acceleration can be calculated by using vector addition. This involves adding together all individual accelerations as vectors to determine the overall magnitude and direction of the resultant acceleration.

What factors can affect resultant acceleration?

Resultant acceleration can be affected by multiple factors, such as the mass of the object, the forces acting on the object, and the angle at which the forces are applied. Friction and air resistance can also impact the resultant acceleration.

What is the difference between resultant acceleration and average acceleration?

Resultant acceleration is the overall acceleration experienced by an object at a given moment, while average acceleration is the average rate of change of an object's velocity over a period of time. Resultant acceleration takes into account both magnitude and direction, while average acceleration only considers the change in velocity.

How is resultant acceleration used in real-world applications?

Resultant acceleration is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to understand the motion of objects in various scenarios, such as in sports, transportation, and engineering projects. It is also important in fields such as aerospace and astronomy for calculating the movement of objects in space.