Resultant moment of beam fixed at one end

In summary, clarification of terminology is needed to determine the correct calculation for resultant moment in this scenario.
SubZer0
TL;DR Summary
Clarification of terminology
Hi all,

I just wanted to get some clarification on 'resultant moment' when calculated in 2D for a beam which is fixed at one end (point A), and has a load applied at the opposite end (point B). My interpretation of 'resultant moment' would be calculated as sum(M) = Ma + FL, where Ma is the reaction moment at the fixed end of the beam, F is the external force applied and L is the perpendicular distance between the applied load and point A. So in my understanding, the resultant moment about point A would simply be -FL, or the opposite of the sum of moments about point A.

Is this is a correct assumption?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Actually, thinking more about this, the resultant moment would simply be the sum of the moments about point A, and would not include the reaction moment at the fixed end. So above, the resultant moment would simply be sum(M)=FL.

SubZer0 said:
Summary: Clarification of terminology

Hi all,

I just wanted to get some clarification on 'resultant moment' when calculated in 2D for a beam which is fixed at one end (point A), and has a load applied at the opposite end (point B). My interpretation of 'resultant moment' would be calculated as sum(M) = Ma + FL, where Ma is the reaction moment at the fixed end of the beam, F is the external force applied and L is the perpendicular distance between the applied load and point A. So in my understanding, the resultant moment about point A would simply be -FL, or the opposite of the sum of moments about point A.

Is this is a correct assumption?

Thanks!
It depends on what you mean by resultant moment. The resultant moment of the applied force about A is +FL. The resultant fixed end moment is -FL. The resultant moment on the beam as a whole is 0, for equilibrium. The term resultant is usually used when there is a distributed load and you want to find its resultant acting as a point load. Otherwise it may be best to stay away from that term and consider moments and forces separately in the x and y directions.

What is the resultant moment of a beam fixed at one end?

The resultant moment of a beam fixed at one end is the measure of the tendency of the beam to rotate around the fixed end due to applied loads and forces.

How is the resultant moment calculated?

The resultant moment can be calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the fixed end to the point where the force is applied.

What factors affect the resultant moment of a beam?

The resultant moment of a beam is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied forces, as well as the distance from the fixed end to the point of application.

What is the unit of measurement for resultant moment?

The unit of measurement for resultant moment is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the US customary system.

How does the resultant moment affect the structural integrity of a beam?

The resultant moment can cause bending and deflection in a beam, which can affect its structural integrity. If the resultant moment exceeds the beam's maximum capacity, it can lead to failure or collapse.