Resultant Moment of Force Around Point O: 20 Nm Clockwise

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Saanchi
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate resultant moment of forces about pt O and state its direction.

Homework Equations


Put the picture. Check it out

The Attempt at a Solution


What I did was :
About A : 60Nm
B: 40 Nm
C : 120Nm.

I'm not sure to add or subtract for resultant. What I did::
Add. A-B as they are in same direction : 60➕40 : 100
Then subtract 120 to it as opposite direction direction

Therfore. 20 Nm

Am I right about the resultant or totally wrong?

Direction : Clockwise.
 
Attachments
  • WP_20151224_002.jpg
    WP_20151224_002.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 505
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. You should specify that it is clockwise around the axis coming out of the page. In complicated situations, you define a right-hand coordinate system. Then your moments around an axis have the appropriate sign and you don't have trouble keeping track of clockwise, counterclockwise around which axis.
 
Last edited:
FactChecker said:
You are correct.
Alright. Thanks :)